cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Phone Calls

ArthurDent
Grafter

Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

Angry  There has been an exponential increase in the number of such calls in my home area over the past couple of months. One theory is that it is connected with the 'compensation culture'. Whatever, nobody locally has a full solution, and it has proved distressing to some (including an old lady known to me).
I have been registered with TPS for several years, and am ex-directory. I also have caller display. TPS has proved uselessly slow and ineffective. Apparently it is funded by the telemarketing industry  itself  - obviously only the more responsible companies, although any 'Jack-the-lad' can set up a call company. IMHO the service should be funded by the telecoms industry or (unlikely, I admit) the government, i.e. a gamekeeper, not the poacher.
The BT phone now on sale (!!!) only deflects 75-80% of these irritating calls. it has problems with certain categories - International, Unavailable and Withheld.
Apparently an MP has spoken up about this nuisance in the HofC. I have written to my own MP asking him to support any proposed remedial action.
In the meantime, any call not showing on our caller display as from someone we know is allowed to go to the answering machine, where its welcome is a suitably abrupt message. The delay does filter some calls - those from multiple diallers. Unfortunately it isn't a real solution , however, because it does confirm that what 'Jack'  has dialled is a valid number.  
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I Have received the following reply from Plusnet regarding this issue which others may find of value,

To try and resolve the issue at hand, I have placed a service on your line today called choose to refuse.
This enables you to block specific numbers from calling you, and this will not cost you anything.
I will provide below the instructions for the service, and this should be active within the next 24-72 hours.

So, in regards to how to use choose to refuse
If the last telephone number that called is to be barred, you should dial 14258. Choose to Refuse will ask you to press ** (2 x star button) to confirm your requirements. The number that has been barred will then be unable to call. Other numbers can be barred at any time by dialling 14258 followed by the PIN.
 Choose to Refuse will offer the facility to:
 * Add a number to your list
 * Review your barred number list
 * Change your PIN
 Up to 10 telephone numbers can be stored within a personal data store. The eleventh entry will cause the oldest telephone number saved to drop out of the list. The other numbers will then drop down, adding the new entry to the top of the data store.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

As this service is network, not home based, does it mean that a banned number will still not get through even if the caller uses 141 to withhold the Calling Line Identity?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
I Have received the following reply from Plusnet regarding this issue which others may find of value,..

Unless there has been a change of policy Choose to Refuse is offered on 3 months free trial after which it is chargeable.
See thread from 2011
Quote from: 4C
I have a potential new referral for BB and Home Phone, who is prevaricating only because she is currently using the free trial period of BT's 'Choose to Refuse' service to avoid a malicious caller.
Digital Care's Alex Rolls advised in this thread that PN's 'Choose to Refuse' is available free for three months and chargeable at £2/month thereafter.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

This is a good idea but I guess it won't be any good for international numbers Undecided The majority of calls I receive show as international.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Actually this looks like a good idea, but it's a bit cheeky to ask for £2pm. Is this another BT wheeze to get £££ from competitors?
Perhaps by the end of the 3mths trial the guys who keep ringing me would get the message that they ain't welcome?
The challenge would be to remember to cancel the option at the end of that time!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ArthurDent
Perhaps by the end of the 3mths trial the guys who keep ringing me would get the message that they ain't welcome?

Nah, I installed a call blocker in August, still getting international calls dropped. (It appears on the handset but it doesn't ring as it is cut off almost immediately)
The challenge would be to remember to cancel the option at the end of that time!

That's what most of these "free for n months" offers rely on, inertia, you forget and get charged.
ArthurDent
Grafter

The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 state very clearly (quote):
'... it is unlawful for someone in business (including charities or other voluntary organisations) to make such a call to any Individual if that Individual has either told that business or organisation that he/she does not want to receive such calls or has registered with the Telephone Preference Service that they do not wish to receive such calls from any business or organisation.
Therefore it should not be necessary for any of us to buy a special telephone or pay for a special service.
As so many of us on this and several other websites are receiving such calls it proves that the TPS is failing in its statutory task.
pwatson
Rising Star

Nice that Plusnet advertise Choose To Refuse so clearly...
Shouldn't it be listed here: http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/#call-features
and it certainly should appear in a search of the website!
http://www.plus.net/search/index.php?strSite=plusnet&rad=plusnet&strSearchString=%22choose+to+refuse...
pwatson
Rising Star

'... it is unlawful for someone in business (including charities or other voluntary organisations) to make such a call

You've missed out the definition of 'such a call'.  The company that the OP has a problem with claim that they are not involved in direct marketing but that they are conducting a survey on behalf of a company that that the callee has a relationship with.
Weasel words certainly and something Ofcom ought to tighten up the rules on!