Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Phone Calls

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Nuisance Phone Calls

I Am being constantly phoned by the following company on a daily basis but when I answer the phone the line goes dead.
The number of the caller is 08000 128015
The website of this company is www.networkresearch.co.uk
As the provider of my phone service I am asking you to take the necessary action to block these unwanted calls or to formally inform this company to delete my phone number from their records.
I am already registered with the TPS and cannot understand how they can get around this ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
24 REPLIES 24
buzzwoody
Dabbler

Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

Buy the BT BT6500 Phone, really fantasic! Wink
picbits
Rising Star

Send the company concerned an email stating that by contacting you in the future, they will be accepting your conditions that you will charge them £10 per call to be invoiced monthly.
Someone did this recently and managed to get a couple of hundred quid off the company involved  Grin
Seriously though this is something you should report to OFCOM as silent calls are not allowed and the company involved will be investigated and possibly fined (as has recently happened). The TPS only seem to be concerned if there is actually someone at the end of the line while OFCOM have the power to put some serious fines on silent callers.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Buzzywoody,
Whilst that might do the trick I only bought a Panasonic phone 6 months ago which I find excellent so it would not be realistic to purchase another phone, also my phone provider is Plusnet so BT may not want to know as I am not their customer.
Picbits,
Sounds like a good idea and one I may well follow up, however Plusnet are my phone provider so as a first step I will wait to see how they respond to this post.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

A Quick look on the OFCOM site suggests that in the first instance your Telephone line provider should be approached so will wait a few days to see what Plusnet have to say.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Annoying as it clearly is, I'm not sure what you expect Plusnet to do about it on your behalf?  They may decide in the future that this is a feature that wish to (for a fee) offer their customers like their prime competitior, but they're under no obligation to do so.
I'd recommend reporting the calling company to the TPS and storing their number as 'Do Not Answer' in your phone.  Looking at the website of the company involved however it looks like they claim that the TPS doesn't apply as they are not making an unsolicited sales call:
http://www.networkresearch.co.uk/faq/
I'd ask them who are they are surveying on behalf of and then contact that company, especially if you are their customer, and making your feelings known!
It's also worth adding your thoughts to this thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113077.0.html
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Well I can only refer you to my previous post in which OFCOM advise you to contact the company responsible for your phone line.
As to what Plusnet can do about it is another matter but it is best to follow the recommended procedure as OFCOM may ask have I contacted my provider in the first instance.
Bit like the Banks, you must refer the complaint to them in the first instance otherwise the ombudsman will not deal with it.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Not really, as I already have Caller Display and that's how I have their phone number.
pwatson
Rising Star

I can see advice on the Ofcom website to approach your provider to see if they offer a nuisance blocking service.  I see nothing that suggests that are under any obligation to do so or that they are in any way responsible for getting the calls stopped...
Quick tips to stop nuisance calls
To stop unwanted sales and marketing calls, register your phone number – either landline or mobile – with the Telephone Preference Service. It’s free and takes 28 days for a ban to come into effect.
Talk to your provider about services to block unwanted calls. For example, BT offers a number of services to help stop unwanted calls, including ‘Privacy at Home’, ‘Choose to Refuse’ and ‘Anonymous Call Rejection’. Other providers offer similar services.
Some products – such as trueCall and CallBlocker can be used to help block unwanted calls. Please note that these are commercial products and are not endorsed by Ofcom.

pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles

Not really, as I already have Caller Display and that's how I have their phone number.

The thread is about calling features that customers may want Plusnet to add to their offerings...  If you don't ask you don't get  Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've had calls from the same number.
I asked one company recently why I was being contacted as I was on the TPS.  He said it was allowed as it wasn't a sales call Undecided
buzzwoody
Dabbler

Re the BT 6500 you don't have to be a BT Customer to buy it. My Line is with Plusnet and it works perfectly. We had been getting half a dozen cold calls a day - now we know when the Phone rings it is a normal call. I am not on Commission, but it is great: You can:
Block International (most of our calls were this)
Block Withheld numbers
Block No Caller ID
Block Payphone
Block Specific Numbers
You can do all or any of these, albeit you need Caller Display on your Phone for it to work. You can also put it into Silent Mode at times you select and during such times only Callers, selected by you, will make the Phone ring.
When a Call is Blocked it automatically goes through to the Answer Machine so the option is there for the Caller to leave a Message, which of course canvas calls will not.
A great Phone. Cool
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

FWIW the BT 6510 ( same functions as the BT 6500 phone just a round base instead of the rectangle one ) is on special offer at Curry's for £35 for the single answer phone unit.
You may need to reserve on line, i'm picking mine up Tuesday.
There are also twin, triple & quad set's with keen pricing.
RJM
Rising Star

Also, you can inform the I.C.O. - they, had a representative on the "You And Yours" programme on Radio 4 last week
saying they want to know about these companies:-

https://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=134674895144
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing/calls.aspx
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the links, very useful.
The BT Phone looks good but a top priority for us is the clarity of the sound as many older people like us need a phone where the sound can be amplified without loss of clarity.
It would be annoying to have to purchase another phone simply to get these people off our backs and fortunately to date we are only talking about one company.
Knowing the number of that company it would be a poor do if OFCOM, Plusnet cannot stop this single company from making these calls to our unlisted telephone number.