Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls

Ellis
Grafter

Re: Nuisance Calls

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Ellis
It is possible to have your line set not to allow anonymous numbers. But that will stop all calls from PBX's (Private Branch  Exchanges), that's Business calls.

Incorrect.
It's almost invariably an option whether or not to give out caller-id information.
In fact it's a requirement for certain types of calls that the this is done.

PBX's do not have the ability to forward their number, as the call could be from one of any number of extensions. Non PBX lines do have this ability.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Whenever I've arranged for the installation of exchange lines to a business, there's always been the option to present a number for CLI purposes. Often we set this to a common number for the business or where a large block of external numbers were leased we'd assign one per per internal extension.  It really depends how the site was configured as to whether it presents a CLI number or not.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Petard
Rising Star

I sympathise.
Maybe these comments on possible solutions would be helpful (we suffered from 15 months' worth of sales calls about three years ago, looked at many options, and tried some of them):
Choose to Refuse (free for 3 months from PN - a bargain!) is effective, and can even block individual callers who withhold their number (if I understand correctly, your exchange knows their number even if it does not pass it on to you). The disadvantage, I think, is that because it doesn't tell you how many calls it is blocking, you have to turn it off at intervals to find out if you still need it - and some companies make batches of calls with long quiet periods in-between.
Anonymous Call Rejection, at £48 a year, is pricey, and has the same disadvantage.
I have not tried Truecall (about £80, depending on where you buy it from), but the online manuals make it sound a bit cumbersome to use without its Internet Control Panel - and that costs £15 a year after the first year.
For the moment, we are using a Panasonic DECT phone (~£50), which can zap calls from a list of 20 numbers (it answers them with an engaged tone, and does not ring). This is great, but it is less clever at handling 'Withheld' numbers. It does have a 'Night Mode', for which read a white-list on a timer. This means the phone only rings for known callers, and all the rest fall through to the answering machine. (Better would be if it played a specific message for withheld numbers, asking callers to ring again while releasing their number.)
Those are the best solutions I know of. The essential problem is it costs next to nothing for a company to cold call us, but us quite a lot in annoyance and hassle. I suppose it would be technically possible for the networks to charge callers a disturbance fee and credit it to our account (refundable if the call is welcome).... Well, one can always dream!    Wink
binzy
Grafter

hi guys
              i got back last night after two weeks away and 11.15 am this morning i had the same call, so think i have had enough will admin please close my account with the appropriate notice no need to transfer my line or need for a mac code as im going wireless with my three dongle just please release my line and broadband so i can sometime in the future  just go with broadband provider or telephone provider without the need of a mac code, and thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond to my post it was much appreciated
                                    regards binzy