Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Nuisance Calls

Hi
Since jan we have been getting upwards of 3-4 calls a day, from either WITHHELD, or INTERNATIONAL, according to the caller ID. These are always calls from foreign people, wanting to know what utility providers we use, and other generally pain in the proverbial calls.  Is there any way to stop these.  I once heard there was a database we could be removed from, but that was a long time ago.  I would welcome any help, as SWMBO is getting pretty hacked off with this
its interesting this only seemed to happen after i was doing the annual surfing for insurance for car and house etc. 
11 REPLIES 11
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Nuisance Calls

Hi penfold,
I am sorry to hear that you have been getting nuisance calls. I think the database in which you were relating to maybe be the Telephone Preference Service as per the link below;
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html
This may help you with these calls. I sincerely hope it helps you. If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know Smiley
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.  I will try this, and see what happens
Rgrds
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it wont be any help on the international calls, might be on the withheld if the are based in the UK and you can get them to admit to be UK based.  They also claim that they can carry out surveys as the TPS allow them.
I have a small battery device that emits various Police siren sounds, I give them a dose of that.
I never answer any calls with my name or number, just say hello, then ask them who they want, judge by that what to do next
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I do the same, but dont have any noise devices.  Must ask my five yr old, to have a chat to them, making his ever louder siren noises in his police car  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

That's why I insist on having caller ID - it doesn't stop them only allows me the choice of not answering them. They really are a nuisance, we get at least 4 every afternoon.
john50
Grafter

Theres this one as well we are registered with the TPs and Silentcall gard  and have  very little trouble now
http://www.silentgard.com/register.aspx
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Tell them they must have got a wrong number as they have got through to the local dog's home, local hospital, police station or whatever and ask them to ensure the number is deleted.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

TPS is hopeless on the international calls.  I recently used the "Jeeves routine" to amusing effect:
ring ... ring...
[best plummy voice] Good Morning this is the Jeeves Answering Service. To whom do you wish to speak?
[poor quality indian call centre voice] Is Mr Alaric there?
[BPV] I may be able to disturb him, may I ask who's calling?
[PQI] It's John from xxxxxx
[BPV] ...and may I ask why you wish to speak to to Mr Adair?
[PQI] ... It's private...
[BPV] .. Very good Sir. If you would care to wait a moment I'll just go to the library [leave the phone off the hook for 3 minutes then hang up]
In most cases they hang up after the first response, but I had one idiot who fell for it hook line and sinker when I explain that on the Estate the poor phone line  often cut people off. He gave up after four calls.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: penfold

its interesting this only seemed to happen after i was doing the annual surfing for insurance for car and house etc. 

I've stopped putting a "real" number in these comparison sites for the same reason - with some sites you can get away with 11 zero's !!!!!
quinndp
Dabbler

Registered on both services above for months now but still get bombarded with marketing calls and scams, from insulation and insurance people to an indian call centre which called me 4 times the other week alone saying I've got a virus on my PC that they can clean, yeah right. Given in and now invested in a call screening device and as a result I've not had one single unwanted call. Not cheap but I think will be worth it for the peace, highly recommended so far.
Moncrieffe500
Grafter

im about to pull my bloody hair out about these calls, ive had 8 already today!! 4 times its been poor quality indian phone line, " do you own this telephone number sir?" were doing a 1 minute survey, after that i cant even understand what hes talking about i cant even make out who the bloody hell hes asking for! theres only 2 people know my number officially, i have to deleted over 10 messages on my answer phone a week with ppi claims from a recoded message.