cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls

Roostie
Grafter

Nuisance Calls

Why do we have to pay for a service to block nuisance calls? I'm getting fed up to the back teeth of International calls and calls from 001003554  numbers trying to scam me with fake Windows PC support calls. I'm on the TPS already, have been for ages but these [Censored] still get your number.
How can I get these numbers blocked ?
C'mon PlusNet - lets have free nuisance call blocking !
dick:red All caps title edited as per forum rule.

7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Nuisance Calls

I have Caller ID enabled and simply ignore these calls.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Roostie
Grafter

Yes, I have called ID but would still like the facility to block these calls. I'm getting them a lot of the time and would prefer to be able to block them simply with one action thereby removing th epossibility of them calling you again.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Though it is a one-off charge (about £39), a call blocker would do what you want .....  and probably more. Use your favourite search engine - I use the CPR product.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Razorback
Grafter

Some phones (e.g. Panasonic) can be programmed to block certain numbers or ranges.
Roostie
Grafter

Yes, but why should the cost of blocking a nuisance call come from our end, why pay for equipment to do this when the supplier should be able to do this for you?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Most of these calls just show up as 'International' in caller ID so can't be auto blocked.
The only way to get them off your back seems to be to waste their time. They then don't call back. I've had the whole range recently from PC fixers, PPI, personal accident and car accident. Double glazing seems to have tailed off.
I must admit I did enjoy them.
My best one was the one who phoned just saying that a car accident had been reported linked to 'this phone number'. I had him going for ages because he thought he had a bite. I kept putting off the time and date reply as I wanted to string him along. Eventually I told him 23rd January 1983. He checked the date again and I said that was my last car accident. He got a bit stroppy but I reminded him that he called me and knowing he was scamming I was playing with him.
When you do that they often remove your number because they know you are aware.
Let's be careful out there !
catelliott
Grafter

Hi Roostie,
Really sorry about the problems you've been having with nuisance calls. Unfortunately, it is difficult to block some international numbers, so even our features for blocking nuisance calls cannot guarantee the calls in question will be blocked.
As mentioned further down the thread, you can find some phone handsets that you can program to block certain numbers for you.