cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls

valart
Grafter

Nuisance Calls

I got a call from someone saying  was I getting lots of nuisance calls from abroad which I do sometimes he said that for £1.90 a month they would stop this,he wanted my credit card details I said I do not give my bank details over the phone not unless it was a reputable company.I just wondered if this is a scam.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Nuisance Calls

I just wondered if this is a scam.

Probably, it sounds very much like one to be honest
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
James
Grafter

Quote from: valart
I got a call from someone saying  was I getting lots of nuisance calls from abroad which I do sometimes he said that for £1.90 a month they would stop this,he wanted my credit card details I said I do not give my bank details over the phone not unless it was a reputable company.I just wondered if this is a scam.

Were they calling from abroad too?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I bought a CPR call blocker last August. £40, but it has paid for itself over the past 10 months (saving of £4/month for choose to refuse) I have it set to block all International and withheld caller's. All I hear is a slight blip and the call is dropped  Grin
I was plagued with spam calls saying my M$ PC had problems and they were calling from M$  Grin Since I don't use M$ and I had no interest in installing their "updates" I used to hang up, only to get another 3-5 a day. That and you have won a <insert something here> if we can quote for <something else> calls.
Must admit it is nice to hear the phone ring now, at least it is unlikely to be one of these calls anymore, and if it is a quick press of the button blocks their number as well  Cheesy
Javert
Grafter

I also bought a CPR Call Blocker . . . excellent device.  Highly recommended.
clivepage

I don't think such a call blocker would be any use for us.  We have friends and family who live overseas and sometimes phone us, so cannot consider blocking all calls from outside the UK. 
In addition, I find that a good many of the junk callers now are happy to reveal their UK number - presumably so that they don't get blocked by such devices.  The REAL problem is that the UK laws are so weak that these spammers know that even if thousands of people report them to OFCOM nothing whatever happens.  The solution to that, unfortunately, is not technical, it's legal.  And with a lot of the junk calls coming from firms of lawyers, and most of the House of Commons being composed of lawyers, I don't expect anything will change.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

IF they reveal the real number then a quick press of the button will block that number, or it can be done from the handset.
Also you don't have to block international number, I don't get overseas calls so I do.
All the blocks are under your control.
e.g. if you normally get an international call on a Sat, unblock the international then and reblock for the rest of the week,