cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance Calls increase since PlusNet

Roostie
Grafter

Nuisance Calls increase since PlusNet

Since moving my line and phone to PlusNet Ive been getting a marked increase in nuisance calls.
A lot from " Microsoft Computer Support" Obviously a scam of some kind.
Now, in order to block " withheld numbers" I am expected to pay £4.00 a month....
PlusNet - sounds like you're on a winner here....  I'm NOT a happy bunny !!!  Angry
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Nuisance Calls increase since PlusNet

You don't have to pay £4/mo. I and several others use call blockers. You can get a standalone unit that plugs into your phone for about £40, or a Panasonic phone will do blocking as well.
You do need caller id though.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My Siemens Gigaset phone can be set not to ring if the number is withheld (I have Caller Display @ £1 per month).
The 'Microsoft Computer Support' scam seems to come in waves.  I had a lot of calls a year or two ago (when my phone service was with BT) but none recently 
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Roostie,
Welcome to the Forums.
I'm sorry to hear you're receiving nuisance calls.
I've had a look at your line and can see that we transferred you from your previous provider and kept the same number that you had previously and you're also on Ex-Directory. This indicates that it isn't something that we've done with your line as everything's stayed the same as when you were with your previous provider, it could just be a coincidence that you started getting these calls when you transferred over.
You can find our guide on nuisance calls here: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/nuisance_calls.shtml
Hope this helps.
jetstar
Grafter

I also definitely receive more nuisance / marketing calls since transferring from Bt to Plusnet about 9 months ago, at least 3-4 a week. ex-directory and tps registered, coincidence or not ?
Solar panels / insulation / boilers / energy savings ...
already had 2 today, including 1 abandoned call.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My phone service is with Plusnet and I get automated calls about free boilers, solar panels, insulation, etc. However a neighbour who is not a Plusnet phone or broadband customer (and has never been a customer) gets as least as many, possibly more.
Many calls appear to be international, though often show a UK CLID.
David
pnPhorum
Grafter

Another reason for getting these calls even with withheld number or ex-directory is the fact they already have the numbers in various listings, also thanks to the Electoral Listing which you MUST Optout, rather than optin!
Time to change that to optin!
Having said that, you need to search in various online listings and each one of them needs to be contacted via email and have it DELETED from their list - names and address included - IT IS THE LAW they HAVE to comply!
mpotter
Grafter

Simply dont pick up withheld number calls then unless youre expecting something important. Even if its important you can enable 1571 to take the message assuming you don't  have an answering machine.
pnPhorum
Grafter

The Law has changed since then, they have to show the number - it cannot be hidden.

In theory [because it is!] you mus answer and tell them to de-list you and they MUST comply, do they?

Roostie
Grafter

Surely it cannot be THAT hard for Phone Providers to allow you to block an incoming number?  With the ever increasing problem of junk phone calls from people abroad who quite frankly couldnt give a **** about our rules and laws and regulations, this needs to be addressed.

I Pay for the rental of a line and also the provision of my calls, I should not have to expect to receive junk [-Censored-] if I dont want to.

PLUSNET - your award winning services which you are happy to crow about on TV Adverts, where is it when it comes to blocking nuisance calls????Huh

pnPhorum
Grafter

Generally speaking.

Let's not kid ourselves.

ALL communications via phone are 'Computer' controlled - i.e. we can virtually manage ANY call/number if the Main Telecommunication Company allows it - i.e. BT.

Costs? I guess not much!

This is political will - as usual.

How many calls are going through the 'internet' and we are made believe they are not = costs far less to Companies.
A bit like the Mobile Data Robbery going on where Data costs 20x or more that it should - with the excuse of bandwidth.

How come you get FREE Wi-Fi ONLY if you sign up with BT [again]?

This is 2016, not 1916 !

PS how do you think we are tapped if the need arises!
ADDITION, I am SURE we now have a direct Microwave link of ALL Mobile phones and a 'main cable trunk 'coming from BT Central to GCHQ [which we obviously need to keep UK safe] - I mean, you do not need to have 160 IQ to get it, right?
In the name of security ALL is possible, then it is not when WE need something, because we pay for that too!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

We can provide 'Choose to Refuse' which is a call blocking call feature. However this would not stop the withheld number calls/international calls/withheld international calls unfortunately.

With the ever increasing problem of junk phone calls from people abroad who quite frankly couldnt give a **** about our rules and laws and regulations

This is part of the problem. Although pnPhorum has said that laws have changed and 'they' have to not withhold their number, this doesn't stop people out of jurisdiction continuing to hide their number or spoof a fake number (I had one the other day and the number read back to me when dialing 1471 was 001234567890, seems legit)

From what I've read, call blocking call features aren't the best way to go to try and stop this. Although they may help reduce the numbers of cold calls you receive, from what I've read, call blocking handsets are the best way to go Undecided

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet