cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy phone line, no broadband

theway2excel
Dabbler

Noisy phone line, no broadband

Noticed noise on landline just before Christmas and at same time drop in Internet speed and Internet drop out.

Got progressively worse until early hours this morning when Internet went off completely. Have done all tests I can do from this side - plugging phone into test socket on master socket, ringing 17070 to do quiet test and line still noisy. Been very wet/windy past week & wonder if line damaged/corroded?

Could anybody suggest what I do/who to contact?
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Noisy phone line, no broadband

Sounds like you need BTOR intervention. Have a look at this link, and complete it. https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

John
theway2excel
Dabbler

Tried the phone troubleshooter earlier and again just now and it says "We haven't found any problem with your phone line".

However noise is still there when phone plugged directly into test socket and no internet when use microfilter (have tried more than 1 microfilter and also tried without plugging in phone).
jab1
Legend

Okay. If that is the case, I have two suggestions, as there clearly is a problem on the line. (1) have you checked on your account that it has automatically raised a fault - the response from the troubleshooter can be a bit erratic? or (2) if it hasn't, ring Plusnet (or your phone provider, if different) and report it that way. If it is bad, they should be able to hear it.

John
theway2excel
Dabbler

Not sure if it's raised a fault. There's an open question showing in help assistant from xmas day where I said phone line was noisy and broadband speed down and disconnecting.
jab1
Legend

OK - troubleshooter obviously didn't pick the problem up -very strange. I would suggest you ring PN, re-report the problem (refer to the open ticket) and see if you can get some action.

You will probably find that when they rectify the phone issue, the BB will sort itself out.

John
theway2excel
Dabbler

Thanks, spoken to customer services and engineer coming out Thursday morning. From tests at their side it's showing as copper wire and broadband problem. Will update after engineer comes out.
jab1
Legend

Good to see you got a result - now all you need is a good engineer.Smiley

John
theway2excel
Dabbler

Engineer came out Thursday and all sorted.  There were 2 issues, 1 a fault in the cabinet, the other a build up of copper oxide on the line atop the telephone pole.  Engineer also installed a new master socket.  Broadband back up to full speed and no noise on the line!  Thanks for your assistance @jab1.

jab1
Legend

Ah, so you got an intelligent engineer - you'd be surprised how many just look for one problem, fix that and declare 'job done' without confirming. The new master socket is a bonus.Wink

No problem - glad to have helped.Smiley

John