cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy phone line -- causing slow broadband fibre speeds / disconnects

PJames

Noisy phone line -- causing slow broadband fibre speeds / disconnects

Hi all,

about a week ago started noticing some static noise on my phone line, and it's now a constant loud crackling that is occasionally so bad it's almost unusable as a telephone! 

But the main problem for me is that it looks to be causing fibre broadband problems - speed dipping to about 2-5 MB/s (was always over 25 MB/s before) and also random disconnects every hour or so.

I've checked all internal wiring - plugging a phone into main test socket - and it's definitely a problem with the external copper wire from my house to the cabinet. (I had similar problem a few years back on ADSL when my phone line was still with BT, that was fixed by the engineer moving my wires to a spare on the cabinet.)

I don't know if BT are going out to people's houses at moment -- but I'd appreciate if someone at Plusnet could raise a fault for me.  (e.g. is there someone I could PM my account info?)

Thanks

PS. https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ didn't give any answer about problems at exchange!

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Noisy phone line -- causing slow broadband fibre speeds / disconnects

Moderators Note

Topic released from Spam filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@PJames wrote:

I don't know if BT are going out to people's houses at moment -- but I'd appreciate if someone at Plusnet could raise a fault for me.  (e.g. is there someone I could PM my account info?)

Openreach are dealing with faults, with the exception of entering customers' property. That won't be a problem in your case.

There's just a chance that the auto tester has created a ticket already - you can check here - https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

Otherwise, just hang on and a PN staffer will see this thread and respond.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
PJames

Thanks @198kHz.

it's good to hear that Openreach are still dealing with line faults!

It seems the phone auto tester hadn't created a ticket, so yes, I'll wait for PlusNeet staff to take a look here and get in touch. cheers