Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy phone line Question #147336573

FIXED
mikeh
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Noisy phone line Question #147336573

I've had a continuous humming noise on my line for months and I reported it as a fault because it became louder along with crackling. I've always assumed the humming was a normal noise due to the broadband and cordless phones but it became annoyingly loud 2 weeks ago.

By the time the engineer came to test the line the crackling had gone so I thought he would find no fault but he said that the humming noise should not be there. After testing the drop pole he thought the fault was nearby and requested a digging team for the job. Later on that day another engineer came and was repairing a damage cable on a pole at the start of our lane. This had been tested by the first engineer and found to be ok . I spoke to him and mentioned what the other engineer had said about the drop pole near us but no work was done on it.

I informed my ticket question that day to say that nothing had changed with the humming noise and got a reply to say that a digging request was underway and would take 5 days to process. As of now I have been informed that OR say the fault has been fixed and line tests show no fault. No work has been done at the drop pole since the initial tests.

The humming is still present. A corded phone has a background hum, I've listened to  friends phones and theirs are silent. I believe there is a fault on my line and according to the latest response I have had to my fault question it is possible to investigate this further. Can you do this for me?

12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Noisy phone line Question #147336573

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any external faults so we would have to arrange another engineer visit.

Can you respond to the open fault on your account?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mikeh
Rising Star

Thanks Matthew

Engineer appointment on Thursday PM.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Let us know if you're still having issues after.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mikeh
Rising Star

Hi here is an update after today's engineer visit.

The engineer confirmed there was a continuous buzzing noise and after further tests highlighted a HR fault underground between the pole at the start of our lane and the drop pole near our property. He couldn't do any more and has passed the job onto another team. 

So the noise is still there along with occasional faint crackling.

mikeh
Rising Star

The phone line was down this morning, I could see the pole which connects to my pole at the lane entrance being replaced. The pole carries a line to a farm. I thought they would be sorting out the pole with the damaged bottom cabling but they didn't and left after replacing the other pole.

The phone line is live again but I still have a background buzzing.

mikeh
Rising Star

The noise on the line was lower for a few days last week but as of yesterday evening it has returned to an annoying level again. Plusnet have been very good and have asked Openreach to test the line again with another home visit this week.  

mikeh
Rising Star

I know this fault is still open but I just want to vent my frustration at the poor service I have had since the previous post.

On Sunday 23 April the line was that noisy I was I was unable to call out and anybody phoning in could not get through but just heard a continuous engaged tone . This lasted until evening when calls could connect but the crackling noise was very high making voice inaudible.

Plusnet requested me to be available on Wednesday afternoon for the engineer visit. No engineer came which was because BTOR had rejected the request which I was not informed of. The line noise has continued and another visit was scheduled for Friday afternoon. Again no engineer came and I have not been told why, I assume they do not accept I have a fault. So that is two two no shows by BTOR with no notice of their intent.

As of today , Sunday 30 April the line noise is very crackly with the annoying background buzzing. Some calls are abandoned.because of the noise. The fibre broadband has been losing connection a few times a day and it is now connected at just 4.679 mb when it used to connect at 20mb. Now tell me this line does not have a fault!

Line stats for evidence.

Total time = 3 days 10 hours 24 min 43 sec
FEC: 17564746 3707
CRC: 28206 2532
ES: 2043 819
SES: 487 81
UAS: 654 392
LOS: 12 0
LOF: 75 0
LOM: 137

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @mikeh,

I'm sorry to see this is still ongoing. I see we've chased the fault report up with our suppliers today, hopefully we'll have a better update later in the week once we have more information following engineers investigating further.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mikeh
Rising Star

It has been a very frustrating time HarryB when I experience the noise on the phone line and it is not being picked up by remote line test and because of that there seems to be a reluctance by BTOR to do more work.

However I believe the line has deteriorated more and this is flagging up at your end. I'm not expecting a quick fix, I just hope to have a quiet phone line thanks.

mikeh
Rising Star

I had a surprise visit by an OR engineer this morning and I would like to say I was very impressed with her attitude and efforts. Things are moving forward now, thanks.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear that went well, I see their notes suggest it's been passed back to an underground trained engineer to investigate further, hopefully they pin down exactly where the fault is and can get it resolved.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mikeh
Rising Star

Fix

The problem was finally traced to some damaged cable underneath the lane tarmac near the pole. This was replaced last Friday and the phone is much better now. Thanks to Plusnet for their support and to the OE engineers for finding and fixing the fault.