Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy line with broadband disconnects

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Noisy line with broadband disconnects

After a decade of troublefree use my phone line has suddenly become extremely noisy, accompanied by periodic broadband disconnects. Plugging the phone directly into the master socket does not improve matters. Reporting this as a phone fault, thereby generating a Plusnet line check, immediately leads to a broadband disconnect, and thus I’m back to square one. How do I progress this please?

11 REPLIES 11
harrow
Rising Star

Re: Noisy line with broadband disconnects

Noise on the line is result of fault conditions on the pair,

and that is not compatible with broadband.

Your always better using the master socket,

and if the engineer finds a fault on extension wiring then charges will be payable.

Ticked_off

PN, where did it all go wrong ?
ajax
Rising Star

'Noise on the line is result of fault conditions on the pair'

Thanks but what's 'the pair'?

'if the engineer finds a fault on extension wiring then charges will be payable'

I don't care about that, but how do I get 'the engineer', given that the procedure apparently involves a line check in the first instance – which immediately disconnects the broadband? In this scenario what is the system for reporting the fault without starting a line check?  I firmly believe the problem is nothing to do with internal wiring.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have a look on the Help Pages scroll down to the "Still need help" and it should give you links to "Chat" or call :

Customer support

• 0800 432 0200 (from within in the UK)
  • +44 345 140 0200 (from abroad)

7.30am - 10pm, every day Please have your username and password handy.

harrow
Rising Star

The pair is the name of the a and b legs, ie the phone line wires,

hence "pair"

If the fault is in your house the charge is likely to be £130 to £160 to disconnect the internal wires.

Sad

harrow
Rising Star

During line testing the TAM is operated to test the line.

The TAM is connected to the test head in the telephone exchange.

Grin

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@harrow PN charge £65 in those circumstances, before sending an engineer they would want the customer to do as many checks to eliminate the possibility of a domestic problem.

harrow
Rising Star

Good if it is £65 but that is £65 that can be easily avoided.

BT have certainly been charging £130 and have seen £160 recently to disconnect internal extensions.

Crazy2

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @ajax

I'm sorry to hear your phone line is noisy and your broadband connection intermittent

Our tests aren't finding the cause of the issue, so I've raised this ticket on your account with steps you can take to progress this as a fault. I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ajax
Rising Star

Having carried out the suggestions detailed on the ticket and provided the information requested I find that the phone line continues to be unusable due to excessive noise and is accompanied by frequent broadband disconnections. I would appreciate guidance as to how long issues such as this take to be resolved. Days? Weeks?  Should I ask questions such as this on the ticket itself? My years of troublefree PN service mean that I’m a novice when queries (and faults) such as this arise.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @ajax

I'm sorry to hear the suggestions didn't help. Our faults team generally pick up a ticket within 72 hours, but I'll take a look now instead. I'll book an engineer appointment for you and I'll update the ticket soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like our tests are now showing an external fault so I've raised this with Openreach and I've also updated you by e-mail and text message with more info. Hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet