cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy line, no support

dainiso
Hooked

Noisy line, no support

I am having serious problems with intermittent noise on the line that makes it very hard to hear other callers. Needless to say this is also taking our ADSL out at very inconvenient times, i.e., when your are trying to use it. I have tried all ways of contacting technical support, but there doesn't seem to be anyone there at all. Any suggestions please? Stay safe.

8 REPLIES 8
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Noisy line, no support

Welcome to the Forum @dainiso 

Try running through the advice on the Plusnet website https://www.plus.net/help/phone/  You will probably end up running the online troubleshooting at https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/

If there is a problem with the line, that should report it to Openreach/Plusnet and create a ticket on your Plusnet account (not here on the Forum, at Plus.net)

dainiso
Hooked

Many thanks BrightonRock. I have run the phone troubleshooter several times in the last few days and all I get is a message saying "Ooops, something's gone wrong, please call our award-winning team, etc" (below), but of course nobody is picking up the phone. Anyway, maybe it has been reported, maybe it hasn't, but it would be good to get some kind of confirmation. I also just got reminded in an email about this month's bill and that is something I shall be discussing with PlusNet when we emerge from this awful emergency situation.

Plusnet line checker.jpg

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

The troubleshooter is not without problems. Apparently it can give an oops! message and still report a fault. Have a look at your account on the main Plus.net site and see if it raised what is called a ticket. I think that the link for tickets is https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

dainiso
Hooked

Thanks again. The phone troubleshooter doesn't seem to have initiated any questions. There are three under Broadband, one relating to my bill, which I didn't open, one which says that as my broadband is now working the question has been closed, and one which says that my bandwidth has been reset, or words to that effect. I am not going to lose any more sleep over this while I have a connection of sorts, but it would be good to hear some kind of notification of what level of service is being provided by PlusNet during this time. There is quite a long history associated with this line and one of the senior PlusNet engineers spent a lot of time trying to put things right last year, but without proper support from BT we are unlikely to make progress. I live about 75 yards from the exchange and our neighbours seem to get good and reliable ADSL, but our service appears to depend on the state of the weather or if there is an "R" in the month. Stay safe.

POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Hi Dainso,

They won't fix it. Have a look at how many posts there are on the forum relating to noisy lines. I have the same problem as you, I have been through the same loop as you, got the same messages. No-one is answering the phone to log your problem.

I had a comment back blaming this on CV-19, of course everyone is social distancing, I don't need to know that! My point is Plusnet is an phone and ISP, they are better placed than most to ensure their call centre operatives can work at home, using a Plus Net mobile and laptop and VPN into their system and help us poor saps who have a contract with them. This is how I am working right now, I VPN into my machine remotely and carry on designing my product. If my company can do this why can't Plusnet?

dainiso
Hooked

Thank you POMPEYFAN. I am under no illusions, but I am just a little surprised that there is such limited support from an ISP at this time. They are effectively managing a large part of our critical infrastructure and I agree that some of that could have been done from home. Maybe they just didn't plan ahead sufficiently, like our own Government. I shall have a discussion with them when this is over. Luckily, the noise on my phone has now abated by itself and I am online, so fingers crossed, but I know it will deteriorate again in the future, or on a windy day, or when it rains, or...

Stay safe.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@dainiso I have ran a lined test and it coming back with no fault found, we would advise plugging into the test socket if the issue comes back. You can find more troubleshooting information here.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
dainiso
Hooked

Thank you TinyTaco. Yes, you are quite right, as the line is much better now, as is our internet connection. Curiously, it go better a couple of days ago after my neighbour saw two OpenReach vans parked outside the exchange. Some think that the BT staff just pop in there to have their sandwiches, but maybe there was more to it...