cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Line

Addz27
Dabbler

Noisy Line

Since the bad weather last week I appear to have developed a fault on my line causing several problems. My broadband appears to be fine (maybe a little slower) but when I pick up the phone there is a very loud hiss and clicking on the line. The router disconnects when the phone is picked up and I also cannot accept incoming calls, it rings once and then cuts off.
I initially thought the phone itself may have been at fault so replaced all the equipment (new phone, cable and microfilter) but the problem persists. I have tried all the phone lines in the house and the test socket but the outcome is always the same.
10 REPLIES 10
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Noisy Line

You need to report a telephone line fault to whoever it is you pay your phone line rental to. Probably best if you don't mention ADSL when you do this, as they may well try to fob you off.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
Our automated testing is finding a external fault on the line known as a Battery Contact.
I'm raising this for you now and I'll drop you a update on this question shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Addz27
Dabbler

Hi. I received a text on Monday saying that the external fault had been detected and anticipated day of repair was yesterday. Predictably the repair didn't happen and I now have no dial tone.
Could you look into this again please? Many thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear its off completely now.
From looking at the details it's a common fault affecting multiple lines in your area.
It looks like we should have a further update today but it appears to be a complex issue that involves temporary traffic lights so Openreach can get at the cables.
As soon as we know more our faults team will be in touch.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Addz27
Dabbler

Thanks for your help so far Matthew.
My internet connection is now suffering badly, disconnecting and reconnecting every minute or so. Really not happy as I have now been without phone for over a week and now have a useless internet connection. I'm aware that this is out of your control as you are relying on OR to fix the problem but presumably there will be a forthcoming offer of compensation for this loss of service?
Many Thanks.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We can look into this. We'll definitely refund the downtime for the two assets.
I would like to make sure that you are back up and running first. It looks like our suppliers are still working on getting this fault resolved. Apologies that this is causing hassle.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Addz27
Dabbler

Any update on this please? Are any repairs taking place or are we still waiting?
No internet at all now. Phone rings but won't answer if picked up.
Joshc
Grafter

Good afternoon,
@Addz27
I have taken a look into whats going on and I would like to refer you to a ticket on your account
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=ticket_id=97997501
Thanks
Addz27
Dabbler

Hi Josh. I have been corresponding with another resident in my area who has the same problem and she has been told by our local council that it will be at least 21st Feb before any repair is even attempted as BT are yet to seek permission to carry out the repairs.
Would you be able to confirm if this is the case?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The notes on the fault from yesterday are showing that traffic management is required to resolve the fault and the current expectation for resolution is the 13th Feb. I'll leave the fault ticket with the faults team to chase up and see if there has been an update since then too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.