cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Landline - 100/440 Hz hum

Robot
Grafter

Noisy Landline - 100/440 Hz hum

I've had a problem with a loud "unsmoothed power supply" -type hum since last Friday, when I received - tried to receive - an incoming call. The line has been unserviceable since. I've just tried (at 15:46) to call in on 0800 432 0200, and after waiting for 18 minutes, somebody said "Hello ... Hello ..." and rang off. I guess they couldn't hear me - like Friday's caller, and like another person at lunchtime yesterday. 

I have a recording if there's an acceptable way of attaching it.

And I've run a line test several times - it fails to report and, after dropping the router off-line, just returns to the menu.

Where is the Ticket system? I don't and won't use Farcebook, so I'm hoping a Staffer will read this and raise a ticket. 

5 REPLIES 5
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Noisy Landline - 100/440 Hz hum

@Robot 

I have just found the link. Logon to your member centre account. Then goto the Phone tab, then part way down on the right side of the screen is Phone Help and further down is a link to troubleshooting Guide. open that and then go to in your case the section about quiet line or background noise and there is a link at the bottom of the section to phone troubeshooter, that allows you to log an issue.

Best of luck.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Robot,
Staff frequenting the forum appear to be the execption not the norm these days.
I take it you ran this line check https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/
If so it could be worth checking to see if a fault has already been rasied.
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search
Failing that could you phone in from a mobile to report the fault?.
Regards
Richard
Pluset support have a freephone number 0800 432 0200
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Robot wrote:

I have a recording if there's an acceptable way of attaching it.

You can't upload or attach a sound file directly, but you could upload to a site like Dropbox (others are available) and post the link.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Robot
Grafter

Thank you for responding. But I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific. I get to the Phone Troubleshooter page with the form to complete:

Phone line to check

Landline number:

and at the bottom there's

Please make sure that your phone is not in use

Running a line check may cause your service to disconnect. Please make sure that your phone isn't in use.

and beneath that "Check my line" and "Live Chat".

But both of those send me to the 0800 number that's useless in the circumstances.

Is that where I should be?

@RichardB  - Yes, I've run the Line Test multiple times - each time it comes back to an empty page but for a menu with no style script to format it. Should it give me a report of some description? BTW, I'm a Chartered Electrical Engineer and for a while worked for the BBC, so I know a bit about the (old) wired phone system.

@198kHz - Thanks for that suggestion (Dropbox).

Robot
Grafter

I finally managed to get through to the helpdesk and arranged for a linesman to visit.

It was, as I expected, a fault at the exchange.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions & comments - but I still couldn't find where to raise a ticket.