cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise on phone (audio file example)

Dave_W
Hooked

Noise on phone (audio file example)

This is a joint phone and broadband problem, but I think that it all stems from an intermittent noise on the phone line problem. Two BT guys have visited, but both times the line was quiet on those occasions (typical sod's law). It's been going on for a few weeks now, sometimes it is quiet, other times it is noisy.

Anyway, I've recorded the noise and I'm putting a link to a file to see if anyone else has ever heard similar, or if a cause might be suggested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pjgfyv61j8ytc7/qlt2.wav?raw=1

(My broadband downsteam speed is down to 0.17 Mb/S)

So has anyone heard anything like that?

9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Noise on phone (audio file example)

Does it do that when the phone is just plugged in on it's own, without a router and microfilter?

Dave_W
Hooked

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to be able to click 'This fixed my question'. It might well do, but we'll see. It has gone clear for a while on previous occasions if I've unplugged and plugged back in. I just did as you suggested  with the phone on its own and it was quiet, then I tried a new microfilter before plugging the phone and router back in and it stayed quiet. For a long time I'd been using an Openreach ADSL faceplate but since the noise was first noticed along with the frequent disconnects, a few weeks ago, I'd reverted to using a microfilter in the master socket. As I say, I'm a bit sceptical as to whether yet another new microfilter will solve the problem, but we'll see what happens. I'll be back. Smiley

Dave_W
Hooked

Just to say that my issue is fixed with this problem thanks to the tech support. My broadband is back to normal and if there is still any noise on the line then so long as it doesn't knock the speed down again, all is well (I hardly ever use the landline phone).

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi @Dave_W,

I am glad to hear that the noise has now disappeared and your service is working OK now. If you do need any further assistance then please do get in touch and we'll be more than happy to help.

Dave_W
Hooked

Thanks, but it is still ongoing. The SNR has been altered so that when I'm connected then it is at a reasonably decent speed, but the noise still keeps coming back and interrupting. I hear the noise on the phone then unplug from the master socket, noise disappears, plug in again - sometimes having to reboot the router, then it's OK again - until the noise comes back. A third engineer appointment is booked for tomorrow, but if it is like on previous visits there wasn't any noise then we'll be back to square one.

I've tried different routers, different filters, different cables, different phones - you name it, I've tried it from this end. So we'll see.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK , what we'll do then is wait for the engineer to visit today and then tomorrow there should be an update available for this so we can check the engineers notes and take it from there.

Dave_W
Hooked

There was the third engineer's visit (no noise, no joy) and then there was a forth visit. This last time when he came in I picked the phone up and put it on loudspeaker and the noise was actually happening! Vindication! He took the phone off me, unplugged the router and the noise continued. Great, we were getting somewhere at last. I asked what he thought it might be and he said that it sounded like a corroded joint. So he replaced the whole socket and everything seemed OK. He left and I checked the phone a few times to make sure. All seemed well until this evening when the net didn't seem so good. I tried the phone and to my horror the noise was back. I made a few more recordings and put a link in my ticket as proof. So the story continues... Sad

Dave_W
Hooked

This problem was solved last week. I thought that I'd leave it a while before posting in case the gremlins came back. The fifth Openreach engineer came and swapped the line from the pole to the cabinet. He seemed to be the first one to take it seriously and actually got his ladder off the van - then hey presto, all fixed. Can't blame Plusnet, they'd asked Openreach to get it sorted but it took them about six weeks. 

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @Dave_W.

I'm glad to hear to hear that this has now been resolved and that our suppliers have replaced the line for you. We appreciate your patience whilst this has been worked on and if you need any further assistance then just get in touch with us and we'll be more than happy to help.