Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise on line/no dial tone

FIXED
BrienneOfTarth
Hooked

Noise on line/no dial tone

For over a week now there has been bad crackling on the line and sometimes no dial tone (for example had no dial tone this morning but I do now). The problem started before the current bad weather. I have tried different wiring/filters and 2 different phones but this didn't solve the problem.  I have done the BT Quiet Line Test with a corded phone connected to the master socket - have tried this with 2 different corded phones and I can hear noise on the line with both. However, when I logged into the PlusNet phone troubleshooter and they did a line test it reported no fault with the line.  I also have very slow broadband which drops connection regularly, including every time the phone is in use (even if I just pick up the handset but don't make a call).

I have had problems several times in the past with damage to my phone line, either underground or caused by trees at the back of my house damaging the line.  I'm wondering if it could be this again, even though PlusNet don't think there's a fault?

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Noise on line/no dial tone

You clearly state the key nature of this issue - it is intermittent.

The problem with intermittent faults is that often when tested the fault is not present therefore not detectable.  The act of testing a line can rectify the fault for a short time - the test currents / voltage dries out damp joints.

A line tested from the exchange side can sometimes report ok whilst a test from the subscribers end finds a fault.

Testing your number is not the same as testing your line - if a BTOR engineer or subcontractor has bodged up local wiring, your number could be on a different line, though that should have been eliminated as a possibility when you did the 17070 test.

Next time you report the fault make very clear that it is intermittent (as shown by the VR plot) and seems to be associated with wet weather.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BrienneOfTarth
Hooked

Thanks for your help. I think you're right and the fault must have been temporarily fixed when the line was tested. I've had no dial tone for over 24hrs now and can't receive calls either. I have tried the online fault reporting again this morning and it's now registering a fault on the line, so hopefully it won't take too long to be fixed.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that.

I can see our online troubleshooter has found a fault.

We'll get that fixed as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BrienneOfTarth
Hooked

Hi Matthew, many thanks for your reply. An Openreach engineer came out yesterday morning (very impressed with how quickly this was dealt with!). He said the line between the cabinet and exchange had deteriorated so he replaced it.  I now have a working phone again, but broadband is still slower than it should be.  Is this because of the new line, or because of my IP profile? I have done a BT speedtest today and the IP profile is 2.62 Mbps (see screenshot).bt speedtest ip profile 06.03.18.jpg

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

Glad to hear they fixed it.

Can you retest it now as we've made some changes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BrienneOfTarth
Hooked

Hi Matthew, have done another test and I'm currently getting over 11 Mbps, which is the fastest speed I've ever had! Smiley Many thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm glad to hear that!

By the way, I love your forum username. Grin

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet