cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ring tone

randpwar
Grafter

No ring tone

Our phones packed up working over the weekend, first one then the other. There is no ring tone and callers cannot hear us but we can hear them. Given that we had FTTC installed last Wednesday I thought it is reasonable to ask you if all is well at your end before I take this new (bought middle of December) phone set back to Curry’s. Also, the BT engineers removed the filters, surprised me bit I assume that is correct
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No ring tone

Hi randpwar,
Do you have a corded handset you can try to rule out any equipment issues?
Jojo Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

Jojo….No sorry we don’t. All was well after the engineer installed FTTC on Wednesday; he tested them and the phones worked and continued to work normally until Friday. The problem started when callers couldn’t hear us but we could hear them on one handset and the other worked normally, then yesterday neither handset could get a ring tone and they display a ‘Out of range’ message. The phone does ring but again although we can hear the caller talking they can’t hear us
I do think that the handsets are to blame given that one was working when the other wasn't. I would have expected both handets to fail if it was a line problem; are you able to check the line?
Rob 
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I presume you are using cordless phones if so I doubt it is a line fault. My guess is the remote handset stopped working first followed by the base station. Out of range means the handset cannot hear the base station.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: randpwar
‘Out of range’ message.

Undoubtedly a problem with your own equipment.
Borrow a phone or, better, buy a new one and get a spare basic unpowered corded one at the same time.
randpwar
Grafter

Many thanks for the advice. As I mentioned, I bought these handsets in December so it’ll be a trip to Curry’s this evening.
&Jojo
Are Plusnet capable of knowing if a line has a fault? Or is this something that I would still need to refer to BT should the replacement phones not work?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We are, though the line test needs a phone plugged in at the other end or it won't work unfortunately . If the issue is still apparent with replacement phones then yes it'll need reporting as well - just let us know the symptoms, confirm that it's still the same with a single corded phone plugged into the test socket and we'll get it tested and raised for you.
Hope that helps.