cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ring tone or caller ID - line/exchange fault?

Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

No ring tone or caller ID - line/exchange fault?

Hi everyone
There is a strange fault on my phone system. There's no indication of incoming calls (no ring tone or Caller ID on the display) but if I pick up the handset I can take the call as normal. There is a dial tone and I can make outgoing calls as normal.
I have of course tried another phone at the master socket but it's the same.
Where might the fault lie?
Mike
11 REPLIES 11
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: No ring tone or caller ID - line/exchange fault?

Hia,
Have you tried 17070  to check your line ID? could be you have someone else`s line.
Racalman
Grafter

Quote from: 2u2me
Hia,
Have you tried 17070  to check your line ID? could be you have someone else`s line.

Hi and thanks (I didn't know about 17070!).
It reported my number correctly. I tried the ringback test but nothing happened until my phone indicated an unanswered call.
Mike
ostrercarey
Dabbler

I have had no phone line since at least 12 October, I thought that it might be the handset and bought a new one, only to find that it was, actually the phoneline.  Plusnet have since informed me it will not be fixed until 18November - there is a "cable fault"  I live in the SW15 area in south west London.  There previous poster does not give a location, but on this fault I am told it is local and roads will have to be dug up to access cable.  In the mean time I am completely without a phone.  My account was debited as normal on 8 October - the full amount - no offer has been made to compensate me for more than 2 months without a phoneline, and I have today requested that Plusnet fund me for an emergency mobile phone - which I dont  have, dont wish to have, but will have to have in the interim.  I feel that it is completely unacceptable that they have done nothing about the charges debited from my account on 8 October, and that they have said nothing about any changes to my debit for 8 November, only that I will be updated!
Racalman
Grafter

Well I certainly don't have your problem. I'm in Berkshire and my phone still works, it just won't ring!
ostrercarey
Dabbler

well I'm glad you have a phone line.  it's nothing to do with the handset?
JTaylor
Grafter

Hi Racalman
I just tried to give you a call about this. I tested your line for a fault and although this looks like an exchange/network issue we need to book an engineer to visit and test from your side.
I've replied to your ticket online. If you can get back to us on there and let us know we'll get something sorted for you.
Racalman
Grafter

Hi Jack
Thanks for the prompt response to this. I just missed picking up your call! I have replied as requested.
Great service.
Mike
jim:quote
JTaylor
Grafter

Thanks for letting me know Mike.
If you can confirm a couple of dates and times for your availability I'll go ahead and book an appointment for you.
Either get back to us on the ticket or on here.
Cheers!
Racalman
Grafter

Replied on ticket.
Thanks again.
Mike
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us.
The engineer's been booked for Thursday 06/11/2014 between 1PM and 6PM. The engineer can turn up anytime within this slot. As we cannot guarantee that they'll call we do advise that you are present during this time slot for the appointment.
I've updated the information on the Ticket for you as well.
Racalman
Grafter

Thanks Linn, I'll be at home when they come but my money's on a fault at the exchange  Wink
Mike