cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone line for 7 days and rubbish OR work

toodlepip79

No phone line for 7 days and rubbish OR work

Getting a bit frustrated with this now.
Just over a year ago an OR engineer came round as part of Plusnet's install of my phoneline, but bodged it by not capping or plugging the hole going from the outside of the wall to the master socket.
So of course the first time it rained heavily water got into the socket and the line went down. Another OR engineer was called out (ticket #79441725) and applied silicone gel to the hole to plug it. This resolved the problem.
Now less than a year on, I'm guessing the gel has degraded enough to allow water in again. Te line went down last week, an OR engineer checked the line externally and found no problem (ticket #95026103) and has now requested an appointment be made to come into my premise.
All the routers work fine, so I'm reasonably confident the socket has failed again, and given it happened during heavy regular rain, I expect the reason is the same.
I realise Plusnet are not OR, but OR are hired by Plusnet, so I expect you to take responsibility for the final service. This service has not been working for a week, likely for a recurring problem caused by shoddy work. Despite logging a request via ticket #95026103 for an appointment to be raised for an engineer visit over 24hrs ago, I have had no response from you. So it looks like the line (and broadband) will be down for a minimum of 2 weeks (will a refund be issued?)
I'd appreciate someone taking a look at this, as when the service is up it's great, but this seems like a really simple recurring problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: No phone line for 7 days and rubbish OR work

Thanks a lot for your time on the phone.
Hope everything goes to plan with the engineering appointment we arranged.
As discussed I've updated their notes referencing back to the previous fault from earlier this year and suggesting that a more robust and permanent solution is needed to finish the cabling correctly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
toodlepip79

Hi Adam,
Just wanted to thank you for getting in touch so promptly. I've updated the ticket, but wanted to share the cause publicly as I want to make sure my original message is taken in context and dilute my criticism of Plusnet.
Basically, turns out an OR contractor had unplugged our phone line at the box to plug a different new customer (prob not plusnet one). The engineer who came round told me that this was unfortunately quite common as they are paid per job, and hence don't bother checking if a line is active - they just rip a cable out and plug a new one in, and let the engineers deal with the fallout.
So no fault of Plusnet's, and after a bit of lethargy I am very happy with the outcome (plus my line seems to be quicker than the previous one, which is always a bonus!)
Final point is that I was without Fibre or phone for just over a week. It's a shame a partial refund was not offered. My suggestion is that you do so and pass on the cost to OR as a "callout charge due to supplier damage" - they seem to be quick to do the same when the customer is at fault Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @toodlepip79,
Thanks for the kind words and for giving some extra feedback about the nature of the issue.
I'm going to make sure we raise a complaint with Openreach for you about this.
Final point is that I was without Fibre or phone for just over a week. It's a shame a partial refund was not offered.

I can certainly arrange that for you. It's something we usually look at when responding to a fault ticket after the issue has been resolved so I'll get that bit out of the way now for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team