cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dialtone

melyn

No dialtone

1. I get dialtone when I plug my phone  into my house's master socket.
  2. I also get dialtone when I plug in the filter and just the phone.
  3. But as soon as I plug my broadband router into the filter too, I lose dialtone.

I'm asking this community because Plusnet has a 30 minute wait for phone help just now, chat is closed, and I can't see a way to raise a support ticket. Not great customer support from them.

Hope you don't mind me asking you here.

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: No dialtone

Do you have another filter and/or router you can try?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there and welcome to the community.

It sounds like there’s a problem with either the router, or the equipment at the exchange.

I’d first run a line test here: https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ and see if it picks up any issues.

Let us know how it goes.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melyn

Thanks for your reply Mustrum. I get the same result with two different filters.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Testing your line is detecting a loop condition which is basically a short circuit somewhere.

Can you plug your router into the test socket as explained below?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Scrap that. If your phone handset works without your router then it's possibly not going to be an internal wiring issue. Do you have a different router you could try?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melyn

Thanks Gandalf. I'm sorry, I don't have a different spare router to try.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's probably worth trying a different router. If you'd like a replacement through us, I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 and we'll see what we can do.

Alternatively, we can arrange an engineer visit to further investigate the problem.

Let us me know if you want to go ahead with the visit and I'll get the ball rolling.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hello there.

I'm just following up here and curious as to whether you've got this resolved yet?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melyn

Just back from a trip. No it's still not working Gandalf. Please could an engineer be sent, or a router swap? Thanks, Gareth

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

If you're getting dial tone from the master socket, the problem must be in your property. Worth persevering, then, as an engineer visit is going to cost!

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)