Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dialling tone

FIXED
sandrwheeler
Hooked
Fixes: 1

No dialling tone

My landline is not working. There is no dialling tone. I have followed all the advice on Plusnet and watched the video all to no avail. When testing the line at the exchange I receive the message "The result of your line check is unclear". This doesn't help neither does the message at the end of the video stating that if it's still not working give us a call. How I am meant to do this when the phone line isn't working is a mystery. The Plusnet web site gives a free phone number - again useless information. I only have a landline phone. What's the solution please?

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: No dialling tone

Welcome to the forums. @sandrwheeler . If you scroll down that page a bit there is a link that says 'There is no dial tone' - expand that and follow it - it should raise a report to Plusnet. Is it possible to borrow a phone from a neighbour to rule out your handset being faulty?

John
sandrwheeler
Hooked

Thanks for reply. I have tried other handsets without success. How do I report the problem to Plusnet? What is the link please?

Roy

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK, the 'other handset' check rules out your equipment. The link you need you will find under the 'There is no dial tone' tab on the same page as you found the video. As I said, this should automatically raise a report to Plusnet, which should raise a ticket on your account.

If you don't see one, the only other option I can see is to ask a neighbour if you could call PN - calls on 0800 432 0200 are free.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Roy, I'm sorry for the issues with your phone. If running a line test through the phone troubleshooter doesn't show an external fault to automatically report to Openreach, you should still be able to raise a fault ticket at faults.plus.net

I've tested your line now though and the tests are showing what's known as a loop condition which is a bit like a short circuit on a line and a type of fault that we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further and resolve.

To rule out an issue with your wiring or equipment, can you plug your phone handset into the test socket explained Here found behind the faceplate of the master telephone socket without your router or microfilter plugged in?

If that works then try plugging your phone into the microfilter then into the test socket, if it still works, add the router back in. If that does still work, I'd try putting the faceplate back on and retest. 

I've also added a reply onto the complaint ticket 214625012 you've raised this morning with this info but feel free to post back here to let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sandrwheeler
Hooked

Thank you for your response. I have, again, gone through the procedure of removing the main face plate of my main line inlet, this after removing my router and all other phone sockets. I still have a dead line. Now connected my router again so that I can email you. Can you arrange a visit to sort the problem out. Any time today or possibly tomorrow if you can't do it sooner
Thanks
Roy.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Roy thanks for getting back to me.

Can you possibly reply to the ticket 214625012 on your account? I can't book an engineer directly from a request on our community forums but if you can post back once you've responded I'll be happy to pick it up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sandrwheeler
Hooked

Am having trouble finding this ticket, there is nothing on my account which mentions tickets, fast loosing the will to live. Have been trying to solve this line fault since 17.15 yesterday.

Roy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Roy

From what I can see you absolutely got to the right place but you clicked the button to close the ticket. There are two buttons, one that says something along the lines of "My question is resolved" and another says "I need to add more details"

I've re-opened the ticket now. Can you log into your account online then click Here to open up the ticket again? Make sure you do log into your account first though otherwise you may get an error as it's a private link.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Can you try this link Tickets

@Gandalf beat me to it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
sandrwheeler
Hooked

Fix

This morning the problem seems to have been resolved. Whether this was by Open Reach at the exchange or the theory that if a problem is left long enough it resolves itself, I'm not sure. I received a phone call today and retrieved all my 1571 messages that had built up over the past days. Thanks.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @sandrwheeler

Thanks a lot for getting back to us and for letting us know that the issue appears to have resolved itself. As no fault was raised with our suppliers regarding the matter, it remains unclear as to why this problem occurred. Please do let us know if you have any further issues however, and we'll be more than happy to investigate.

Please advise as to we'd now be okay to close down the open Ticker / Complaint on your account.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Do not rely on this.

Some faults caused by bad joints come and go. Sometimes all it takes is got the line to revive a call, or possibly an engineer working on an adjacent circuit. The fact that your broadband continued to work suggests that there was a break on one side of the circuit pair. Expect it to fail again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.