Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dialling tone...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

No dialling tone...

Reading these forums I get the impression that a few customers have been having problems with their phone line so I thought I'd throw in twopennyworth...
I reported a problem (no dialling tone) with my daughter's land line on the 18th of this month.
PlusNet made the following comments:-
"Your fault has now been raised with our suppliers for further investigation.
They have advised the estimated time for resolution is 20/11/2014.
Please note this is only a estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date, however we will continue to monitor for updates from them and if we are able to provide an update sooner than this we will do so"
On Saturday I posted the following:-
"My daughter tells me that as of this morning (Saturday 22nd Nov.) the problem still exists.
Wonder if there are any updates?"
There were none.
As of today (24th) there is still no dialling tone.
Whilst I appreciate that sorting these things out can sometimes take time I do wish PlusNet would at least keep us informed of what's happening.  My daughter lives on her own and works shifts and my wife and myself (we're both disabled) have to be on standby in case an engineer needs access to the property.
If anyone from PlusNet should read this, any updates, please Huh
John

10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: No dialling tone...

I'm just going to take a look now. I think I've located the account in question.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Chris,
Ref your mail...
Are you saying that the external fault, which Pete confirmed existed, has now been cleared and now there's an internal fault?
This issue has been around for a week and it would be nice to have it sorted...
John
Chris
Legend

Hi, as your community account isn't linked to that account I can't go into much detail really. So I'll update teh ticket again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

OK Chris, I can see that.
The landline in question is at my daughter's house and as I'm paying for the landline and her broadband the whole thing is in my name.  BUT I'm logging on here using my own account's password...  Hope that makes sense.
Anyway, this evening - Wednesday 26th - my daughter again plugged two separate phones into the master socket - in fact she removed the front of the sockets - and plugged both phones inside and there is NO dialling tone, so the line is still dead.  Sad
It's been like this for over a week now so anything you can do to speed things up would be appreciated.... Smiley
Chris
Legend

If you can reply to the ticket confirming that you've done the checks asked and let us know when we can book an appointment for that'd be great. One of my colleagues will be taking this over as I'm now out of the office until mid next week.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@PNnewbie
Thanks again for your time on the phone and I hope that the engineer visit we arranged helps to rectify the fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
Yes nice to talk to you.
The phone line is back up and running. 
My daughter, who lives on her own, was without a landline for longer than she should have been - no phone - no broadband.  She works shifts at the local hospital and was on nights but stayed up to be around for when the Engineer called.  He never did so she effectively worked two 12 hour night shifts without having been in bed in between - for which she was - shall we say a trifle annoyed!  Presumably the fault was external and the Engineer was able to sort it without needing access to the property after all. 
So a satisfactory outcome eventually but it shouldn't really have taken this long...  I'm sure PlusNet will be only too happy to recompense for the time the landline was out of order and the inconvenience caused... Wink
I have my line and calls with BT but Plusnet provide my broadband.  Just before this event I was considering transferring the whole package over to PlusNet and updating to fibre.  For now the plans are on hold.  I suppose that realistically whether one has one's landline courtesy of PlusNet or BT makes no difference as it's BT that is ultimately responsible and we've not had line problems for ages so hopefully we'll not have any more.  However I was also a bit concerned by being asked by PlusNet to run some tests - tests we'd already done some days previous.
Anyway all appears well so we can move on  Smiley
Thanks Adam.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,
There are two issues pointed to here...
1. Fixing phone lines regardless of who you pay your bill to is done by BTOR.  BTOR are not supposed to favour one supplier over another, but there appears to be empirical evidence that they give BT Retail better service than other CPs.  Sadly no one appears to have metrics on this enough to nail them through Ofcom.
2. If BTOR can find any means of closing a fault visit as being down to EU equipment, then they will and then raise a charge against PlusNET / the EU.  Confirmation of the tedious tests at the point of raising the fault report is essential to mitigating the risk of EU equipment fault charges.
It is good to learn that the no-visit still resulted in an external fix.  Arguably the engineer ought to have checked / tested the line from the NTE box.  Many no-visits are no-show-no-fix experiences.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Townman,
The fact that BTOR appear to favour BT is I suppose quite understandable - after all BTOR is one of a number of BT Group businesses.  However as I understand PlusNet was acquired by BT some years ago (2007?) I would expect it to be pretty high up the pecking order when any work requires doing.  Perhaps they had a lot of technical problems in this area recently, who knows, in any event the problem was sorted.  I'd have liked the engineer to have called to confirm that the line was ok but it does appear to be working - the daughter can come off nights and get her fix of catch up tv now !
I worked with BT for a while but moved on as soon as an opportunity came along.  I was never happy with the way they operated.
Thanks for your input.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,
It is not so much PlusNet favour BTOR (being in the family or not) more that there is no choice.  Aside from areas served by Virgin Media or other cable suppliers, out side of Kingston-Upon-Hull, BTOR is the sole supplier of the local access copper network (wires to the property.  It is not unlike gas / electricity - it matters not who you pay your bill to, it comes over the same network owned by Centrica or the National Grid.
Ofcom requires that BTOR treat all retail ISPs the same.  One suspects that BT Retail see preference, PlusNet certainly does not get any favours that one can discern given some of the stories read on here.
It is always good to get a fix to a line.  Often one can find that a problematic fix results in a substantially better service.  I lost my service in July for a week due to a major fault in an under water cable.  Since it was fixed, I have not had a single disconnect - presently 138 days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.