cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone!

nanoush1

No dial tone!

>:(My phone line has just been activated 4 days ago, to my surprise since this morning I have had no dial tone and can not receive incoming calls (caller hears ringing tone but phone doesn't ring). I followed all the instruction on the basic check, but nothing happend, i reported that by email but can see it will take 24 hours to recieve a response, i`m just wondering, have i make the right choice for a service provider! Undecided
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No dial tone!

Hi nanoush1,
Could you please test the line with a corded phone (one that you know works) plugged into the test socket to see if the problem still happens? I've tested the line and it's showing all sockets unplugged so unless you have actually unplugged the phone it looks like either a wiring fault or a fault with whatever's plugged in at the moment.
The test socket is behind the front plate of the master socket where the phone line comes into your house and looks like this:

If there's still no dial tone there then we've proved the wiring issue to be outside your premises and can refer it to BT for you.
bluetobits

I have exactly the same problem of no dial tone and cannot make or receive calls. I reported this on 19th Feb through the help assistant and have not even had a reply to say we are dealing with this. How long should a problem like this take to get resolved?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bluetobits,
I'm sorry for the delay - I'll get someone to look at your ticket and get it updated by the end of the day.
bluetobits

Thanks Matt, I'd really appreciate that.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's now been picked up for you and a fault raised as testing identified a problem at the exchange. We'll update as soon as there's any more information for you.
Ellis
Grafter

This problem puzzles me as every night my phone gives three separate "tings" which is the auto testing on a digital exchange. Is my line only one of a few that gets tested?