cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone

laurahoward

No dial tone

I'm having a bit of a problem with my phone, my internet is still working fine but my home phone no longer has a dial tone and won't ring out although
people say they have tried ringing me, and that my phone is ringing!
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: No dial tone

Who is your phone provider; Plusnet or BT.
If BT, unplug your router and go the the following web site and do a line test: https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do
If plusnet, ring the helpdesk
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi laurahoward,
I would firstly try a different handset in the test socket, to make sure your current handset/filter isn't causing the issue.
Jojo Smiley
laurahoward

Hi, I have now tried another phone and that won't work either!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Then do what I suggested earlier.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI laurahoward,
Either raise a fault or call our support centre so we can get that sorted for you.
Jojo Smiley
x47c
Grafter

Broadband working but no dial tone is usually because ONE wire in the cable pair has broken somewhere.
Might be in the house or it might be externally somewhere back to the exchange
If the test socket behind the NTE5 faceplate also doesn't give a dial tone then it is external and a matter for your phone supplier.
If the test socket does give a dial tone then it's your house wiring and your problem to sort.

The ringing sound people hear in their phone earpiece when they ring in is generated by the exchange not by your phone.  You could disconnect every phone, broadband etc in your house on a known fully functional line and then ring in - and you would indeed hear the ringing tone in your earpiece.