cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone on landline

StevieR1
Grafter

No dial tone on landline

Checked my landline this morning to make a call but found there was no dial tone at all.

Tested the phone and a spare directly into the master socket but the same problem.

If you call my number from a mobile it rings and the internet is also working fine.

I did try to call Plusnet which is experience long queues (waiting just over 1hr of the terrible quality Christmas songs was enough for me) so reporting it here so save my sanity. Smiley

10 REPLIES 10
peterthebike
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: No dial tone on landline

Hope you have better luck than me. Reported a noisy line on Dec 10th. Then on the 14th we lost the dialling tone. Support has not been very communicative!😡

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

This appears to be a line fault which Openreach will need to fix. Plusnet staff up to their eyes as you say, so you could try logging into your account and using the phone -- phone troubleshooter -- No Dial Tone option. This should start an automatic line check after which you may be able to raise a fault ticket -- not sure as I've never used it myself.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Longliner FYI, running the Phone Troubleshooter you mention should automatically raise a fault.

John
peterthebike
Dabbler

@jab1  a fault has already been raised through the Phone Troubleshooter but unfortunately after being told "Your fault has now been raised with our suppliers who we work with on Phone issues for further investigation." we have heard nothing.

jab1
Legend

@peterthebike If the fault has been referred to BTOR only today, you will be unlikely to hear anything further this week - their systems work at a glacial speed, but they usually get there - eventually.

John
peterthebike
Dabbler

@jab1 it was referred on Tuesday. Bit annoyed because as a "Senior" couple🙂 the landline is our main form of communication.

jab1
Legend

@peterthebike OK, that wasn't obvious from your previous comments, but at least it makes it hopeful they will sort it soonish - usually, these problems are resolved in 3-5 working days.

John
StevieR1
Grafter

Tried the fault checker, the test completed with "an error has occurred" and only said ring this tech number.

jab1
Legend

@StevieR1 Have you logged into your account and checked if a ticket has been raised? The system sometimes returns that error, but actually logs a fault anyway.

John
StevieR1
Grafter

Yeah I checked but nothing.
Tired the test a few more times and the 3rd go it managed to log it as a fault and raised a ticket.