Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone but broadband works.

pvy2712
Grafter

No dial tone but broadband works.

Hello,
My phone line currently has no dial tone, the broadband still works although slowly, last night it was running at around 2k where normally it runs around 5-6k. This morning it was running slowly but when I checked it just before I left for work it came up around 9k… which was slightly confusing but a pleasant surprise all the same, although I’m not sure how long that will last.
However still no dial tone. If someone rings the number it will ring from the perspective of the person calling but the actual home phone will do nothing.
I don’t have a test socket; I have one of those delightful External NTE things. So I’ve checked the phones work… they do. And checked the first phone socket inside the property (ironically the same one the phone is plugged into anyway) still no dial tone.
I did have my number changed a week or so ago but my plusnet profile shows up as using the old number. I have also used the BT broadband checking site thingy-ma-bob and that threw up an error when I tried my new number but happily worked when I used my old one.
While the land line is 85% for the Broadband only it would be nice to be able to use my phone when I need to.
Kind Regards
Dan Brown
7 REPLIES 7
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: No dial tone but broadband works.

Hi Dan
You need to raise this as a phone fault with whoever provides your voice service.  This will most probably sort your broadband speed out as well.
I few years ago I had something similar.  I even raised it as a fault with BT via a VOIP phone, until I got to the line test bit, and it disconnected me from the internet!  It turned out to be a nail through the phone line from when we had the facia boards replaced some months before.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Does the phone work with with the router turned off? I had a BT Home Hub that caused loss of dial tone.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see we've now raised this for you, thanks for that. We'll make sure to let you know as soon as we have any updates.
pvy2712
Grafter

Thank you guys for your responses  Smiley
Plusnet is the line provider, and the router had no effect on the line itself (I tried all combinations of with/without adapters/phones/router) I’ve been told there is a problem at the exchange which they are fixing. Bless their lil 'arts.
Regards
Dan Brown
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I had exactly this problem last year, except that the complete loss of dial tone was preceded by several days of the voice line being very noisy.  It turned out to be a bad connection in a leaky housing that was underwater after some heavy rain.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pvy2712,
From checking the ticket it looks like this may now be resolved? We certainly hope that's the case but please let us know if not and we'll push back for further investigation.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

When I had LLU (local loop unbundle(?)) ADSL from another supplier they had no dial tone on the line. It ran at about 6 meg, but I didn't a phone service running on that line so I guess dial tone was not relevant.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.