cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone but broadband is working

Shepherdess

No dial tone but broadband is working

Ive a strange one. I have no dial tone but the broadband is working fine. I have plugged a corded phone directly into the test socket in the main socket and its still not working so its unlikely to be an internal fault in my wiring. 

I have been trying to contact plusnet support all day both from my mobile and chat but to no avail.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: No dial tone but broadband is working

Welcome to the forum, @Shepherdess.

As strange as it may seem, broadband can work on just 'half' of the pair which connects you to the exchange, but voice needs both. How is your BB performing - you still may notice a deterination ?

If you can, I would try and report the fault to your provider - which I assume is PN from your comments above.

It is unlikely the support guys on here will pick this up over the weekend.

John
Shepherdess

Thanks John

My broadband is actually working faster than normal (In in Aberdeenshire) 

the support guys and gals must be very busy today - its a 30 minute wait on the phone and chat is not available. 

I will try again later or tomorrow.

Its no big deal really - the PPI and window phonecalls cant get hrough so its peaceful

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Have you tried this Plusnet page?
https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If you go towards the bottom of the page it tells you what to do for various problems including if there's no dial tone

You might have to log in to your PlusNet account after you click on the 'phone troubleshooting' link, even if you're already logged in, and when the test is done it might give you an "oops!" error message and tell you to ring in (it has done for me on the two recent occasions I've had this problem!).

If so, you don't actually have to phone but can visit the 'My Questions' page https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=questions&?helpheader=questions to see the automatically raised ticket which tells you what's the problem and what action is being taken. Or, you might be sent an email giving you a link (I didn't get that either but knew where to look and I have the page bookmarked).

Hope this helps.

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Shepherdess

I did the troubleshooter and it said it was testing the line, then went OOPS and told me to contact customer services. 

I couldnt find where to raise a question so thanks.

Ive just checked it and there is no question raised.

Ill try support again. Thanks

jab1
Legend

@Mad_Moggies Thanks for your post - as the OP had no dial tone, I didn't think troubleshooter would help, so didn't suggest it. Embarrassed

John
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

It found a fault on my line (at the exchange) last month when I had no dialtone but still had internet, which was apparently fixed. And then it found exactly the same fault again this month, though then I had a mixture of no dial tone, a faint dialtone, a normal dialtone just very occasionally and a loud 'siren' noise, the latter also happening in the middle of a call I took when it was apparently working OK.

Openreach engineer rang me on this month's fix to check I was on a fibre connection as he found ADSL was still connected! (I went over to fibre several years ago but there were some mix ups with an engineer not keeping his appointment to fit the new line socket and the second person perhaps didn't check it had all been done properly to where they took over.)

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Shepherdess

I have eventually got onto chat with a customer service rep. She needed the phone unplugged but then asked for the broadband to be unplugged too and to phone them from my mobile. I was waiting in the que for 30 mins and thought the mobile bill would be scary and as I didnt know how much longer I would have to wait I cut the call.

Im currently waiting for chat again. Is there anywhere I can open a quesion on the support pages as I cant seem to find where to do that?

jab1
Legend

@Shepherdess If you ring an 0800 number from your mobile, it is free these days, the same as it always has been from a landline. I know this is no help to you now, but do bear it in mind for any other time.

It is very difficult for customers to open support questions these days and the few options they do give you as to the type of question is very limited. You will, I'm afraid, have to get back either on to chat or ring 0800 4320200.

John
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @Shepherdess

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've recently been experiencing with your phone line, however I see you've since responded to the ticket confirming this has now been resolved.

Thanks for letting us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet