cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone / broadband, a neighbour has allegedly cut mine & another neighbours BT cables

FIXED
jheenan
Grafter

No dial tone / broadband, a neighbour has allegedly cut mine & another neighbours BT cables

Hi all,

Our FTTC line is suffering from no broadband & no dial tone after 7+ years of a brilliant stable service from Plusnet.

I ran through the troubleshooter and it raised Question #186588378; it doesn't look like it did a line test (or if it did it didn't add the results to the ticket). I'm guessing this means someone needs to manually press a button to run a line test & then pass the fault to BT.

Is it worth trying to phone in to get someone to do that? Or any other way to nudge things along any faster?

Many thanks

Joseph

8 REPLIES 8
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: No dial tone, no broadband since this morning

Hi @jheenan, thanks for your post.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you've received no response to your ticket.

I've run diagnostic testing on your line and immediately detected a disconnection in the network somewhere between the distribution point and your premises. At this stage, no engineer home visit is required and I've been informed that the estimated response time for repair is by 23:59 on 22/01/2018. In my experience, these sorts of issues are usually resolved before the estimate.

You'll shortly receive a fault ticket - No action is required your side as yet.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch should you need any further information or assistance.

jheenan
Grafter

Awesome, thank you Owen!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

That's absolutely not a problem, it's what we're here for.

Have a great evening and with any luck it'll be repaired in no time.

jheenan
Grafter

So, interesting update: It turns out one of our neighbours also has no broadband and no dial tone.

Further investigation revealed that another neighbour is currently unhappy that the BT cables run across her roof (the cables have been their for 20+ years and she only moved in a year ago, though she recently had the roof re-tiled and the roofers un-tacked the BT cables from the apex and left them lying lose across the roof and she has been complaining that the cables are noisy, perhaps they move in the wind?). This neighbour allegedly got workmen to visit this morning to cut & remove the section of BT cables on her property that service myself & the other neighbour. The cut ends of the cables are visible at either end of her property.

Anyone any advice in this situation? Will BT attempt to repair the cut cables?

jheenan
Grafter

BT visited this morning (sooner than I expected). They confirmed the problem was that the lines had been damaged outside the boundary of our land and "repaired" mine & my neighbours lines by running a new line in a location it seems the problem neighbour was happy with.

It's going to be interesting to see who they try and bill. My understanding is that because all the damage was outside of the boundary of my land Openreach should not be charging me for the repair. I guess they may try and bill the neighbour that cut the cables.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Hi @jheenan, our suppliers have responded advising they believe they've resolved the fault.

If you're still experiencing problems, could you respond via the ticket on your account Here.

If you could let us know once you've done this, we'll be able to get that picked up and pushed back to our suppliers for an appointment to look in to this further and try to resolve the issue.

EDIT:

Looks like your reply came through as I was checking the fault report and typing my reply.

I don't believe you'd be charged for the fault in the circumstances you've advised of.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jheenan
Grafter

Great, thank you Harry!

Everything still looking good and given it was only just over 24 hours between reporting the problem to Plusnet and the repair being completed I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Faster than I was expecting!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear that all seems to be working, do let us know if you start to experiencing problems again moving forward.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet