cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone (and yes, I know this is a forum)

iainstirling

No dial tone (and yes, I know this is a forum)

Hi,

I know this is a forum, but when the online chat help is not available, and when I can't call the helpline (because my phone has no dial-tone), where else am I suppose to go for support?

Anyway, for a few months the phone line has occasionally dropped phone calls.  Over the last week it got worse to the point that a phone call wouldn't last more than about 5 minutes without cutting out.  Now the phone line has NO dial-tone and incoming calls just hear an engaged tone.  Broadband (fibre) is working absolutely fine.

I have tried unplugging everything, I have connected to the master socket, with and without filters, I have tried another phone (non-cordless).  The online line-check couldn't come to a conclusion (it finished the test but didn't know what it had found), and so I am here hoping that someone in Support will be able to look into this issue.  Thanks, Iain.

17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: No dial tone (and yes, I know this is a forum)

Have you had a look on your tickets to see if a fault report has been raised by your line check.

It often does even though you get no notification.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It sounds like a dead line to me.

When I had a landline fault, there is a BT checker page where you put your landline number in, it does some checks and if they fail it will call an engineer out. Worked fine for me.

I don't think it is likely, but do as many checks as you can. Have you got access to another landline phone to rule out yours being faulty. Have you tried making a call without no dial tone and does it work?

Enter your phone number here (I think it is the right URL) and see how you go.

EDIT: Sorry see you've said you've tried different filters. Try the on-line check first is my advice.

iainstirling

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

There are no tickets raised.

it is not possible to make outgoing (or receive incoming) calls.

i have tried another phone. 

Iain

iainstirling

Regarding the BT line check, it looks like you need a BT account for it to work.

iainstirling

And the plus net line check says “the results of the line check are unclear”. Lol. 

And the ‘support’ lines don’t open until 7.30. Why do all telecommunication firms make it so difficult to get an error logged?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to see there's been an issue with your phone service. Tests don't shown any obvious issues so we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further. 

I've just added a ticket to your account with more information: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=179596530 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
iainstirling

Well, what do you know?  It's now working.

Of course you didn't see any issues, of course you didn't do anything to fix it on the day I first raised the issue.  It's a miracle.  (It's a pity the miracle hasn't happened for the previous several months that the line has been dropping.)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Best regards, Iain

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I would doubt that the issue has been fixed.  For some fault types, the act of testing the line can clear iffy joint issues.  Keep a watch on the line... listen for noise, do the 17070 option 2 quite line test regularly, if you hear noise raise a fault report ASAP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

iainstirling

Thanks Townman. Interesting. I will be sure to keep an eye on it. 

iainstirling

Well, you were right.

Although the dial-tone problem is fixed and we can now make phone calls, the line did drop a couple of times during voice calls. I'll keep an eye on it and raise an incident if it continues to be an issue.

How can voice calls be an issue if the broadband is fine?  Must the issue lie in software somewhere, rather than it being a broken physical piece of copper in the line?

iainstirling

Also I did the 17070 quiet line test and it did seem to be quiet.  Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

No dial tone arises when one of the two legs of the copper pair breaks / makes a bad contact. With just one leg still connected, broadband can still limp along.

Really sounds like you need to get a phone fault report raised with your phone service provider. If that is Plusnet, use the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you have fibre (FTTC) broadband that can work perfectly well if the phone line fault is between the cabinet and the exchange, that section of the line is only used for the phone service.

iainstirling

Thanks guys. I’ll get an incident raised if it definitely keeps happening.