Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone and internet speed halved

FIXED
fred77
Rising Star

No dial tone and internet speed halved

Everything fine this morning gret speeds dial tone, etc. About 1 hour ago no dial tone and internet speed down 60%.

How do I report a fault with Plusnet? I dont have a phone line and we dont get a good mobile signal here. Can somebody from Plusnet look into this urgently please? Openreach were at the green box earlier today. Should I contact them or BT ? Am at a loss at the moment!

Many thanks,

John

20 REPLIES 20
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: No dial tone and internet speed halved

You could follow the steps in the Phone Troubleshooting pages.

It also contain a link to test your line, and if it is working should automatically raise a fault if it finds one.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

This is a symptom of you having one of the pair of cores supplying your property open circuit. If you have some broadband then use the on line chat providing of course that you get your phone from Plusnet. Note that this will not work if you have a pop up blocker. This is sometimes activated automatically in your browser so you may need to turn it off in the settings.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fred77
Rising Star

Managed to get through to PN on dodgy mobile connection. Very helpful. Tested my line and informed me that there is a fault, almost certainly a "loose connection" at the green box caused by Openreach in there today! Lucky we are still getting an internet connection. Booked engineer visit Wednesday. Just hope I get the same speed as before after the fix. Thanks for your help/ interest.

harrow
Rising Star

I guess you have FTTC ?

Then it is dis between the exchange and the green cabinet.

Smiley

PN, where did it all go wrong ?
Baldrick1

@harrow

The disconnect could be anywhere. For the phone to work there has to be a full electrical circuit. If one of the two cables is disconnected there may be sufficient capacitance between the broken cable and earth to allow the high frequency dsl data, be it degraded, to get through.

Moderator and Customer

harrow
Rising Star

Rubbish,

you know nothing !

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@harrow Thanks for your helpful post, you obviously think you know it all, unfortunately your comment in message 5 is incorrect. If the OP is on FTTC the disconnect has to be between the cabinet and the user premises. The broadband signal does not use the E-side line from the exchange to the cabinet. 

harrow
Rising Star

You might not agree with what I have said,

and asked for the post to be removed,

but what practical experience do you really have ?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I don't care if you make pointless posts but if they are factually wrong I will point out the error. I did not ask for the post to be removed where did you get that idea from? As for experience I could ask you the same question.

Baldrick1

@RealAleMadrid

Thank you for your support. I will confess that I have no experience of telecom systems. My assumption was simply based on a lifetime spent in the electronics industry. I am quite prepared to be told that I am wrong but am dismayed when this is in the form of a rude 'Rubbish, you know nothing' comment with no explanation. To be honest I did not consider such a post worthy of any sort of response.

From my viewpoint, I would have thought that the most likely place for the break would be between the street cabinet and the property. My reasoning being that if this circuit was complete then it was more likely that whilst there would be no telephone there could be no affect on the speed of the broadband, but as we know, this has slowed. Then it occured to me that if the fault was between the street cabinet and the exchange then as well as there being no telephone there could be common mode interference getting into the broken wire, increasing the fault level and therefore slowing the connection. Therefore I thought that it could be anywhere. But as our resident expert tells me: 'I know nothing'.

Moderator and Customer

fred77
Rising Star

I appreciate the interest and replies to my problem.

When the engineer has completed his work and hopefully rectified the problem I will endeavour to ascertain where and how the fault occurred and post the result here as that may help put this matter to bed!

Many thanks.

John

Baldrick1

Hello John,

Please excuse your topic being hijacked by our bickering, the important thing is that your problem has been identified and an engineer booked to fix it. That should have closed the issue. If you do find where the break occured then I would be interested in hearing.

Moderator and Customer

fred77
Rising Star

Have just had Openreach here. Traced fault to an estimated 800metres away, the green box. Some dodgy corroded terminals on my line. Fitted new ones or something similar, not too sure what he meant, but all is well and back to good dial tone and back to 38mbps broadband which is exactly what I was getting prior. All's well that ends well!! Hope this info helps you guys sort your differences out!

Regards,

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi John. I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems with your service.

I'm glad to hear this was a relatively speedy fix and you're back up and running.

For the record, the engineer notes indicate the problem was at the E-Side/PCP.

Let us know if further issues develop. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet