cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No corded telephone to check noisy line?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

No corded telephone to check noisy line?

Hi It seems I've just recently had a bit of noise on the line (via the quiet line test). The only thing is, I haven't a corded telephone to definitely make sure; only a cordless one. Is there any way around this or do i just book an engineer to check out the fault?  Thanks. 
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: No corded telephone to check noisy line?

It is best if you test using a corded phone. If you can't borrow one you can get one for £5.49 from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bin
Aspiring Pro

Definitely get a cheapo corded phone as recommended by @jelv. The amount of perceived 'noise' from a BT cordless phone system surprised me - I always assumed it was the line!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

It looks like we've got an engineer booked in for you. Can you let us know how it goes?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks for the responses, guys. And I managed to get my hands on a corded telephone. Unfortunately the situation's gone from bad to worse.

I can't hear anything when the phone rings; only one tiny ringing sound and then silence. After picking up the receiver, neither I nor the other person can hear anything. The same applies to the cordless telephone as well.

Whilst on the line to PN via my mobile, they did about 3 line tests and all came back without any problems?! - Very bizarre.

And @Anoush; yes, I've booked an engineer visit for this Thursday between 1-6 pm. I'll certainly let you guys know what happened.

One more thing; it seems my caller display's not working either. Hopefully after the visit, everything should be back to normal.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Cagney1994 wrote:
One more thing; it seems my caller display's not working either. Hopefully after the visit, everything should be back to normal.

Should be. The CLI signal is a stream of data in the voiceband, and is easily corrupted by noise on the line.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Well,  the engineer's been and sorted it all out. Top bloke is all I can say. And the problem was with the box junction (the bit where the line enters into the property, then into the box, and finally out to the master socket). Apparently it was a right mess inside.

The only thing now is to uncap part of my data rate. The stat. shows 440/18445. If PN could look into that, that'd be great.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yeah, your upstream is capped. You might be better asking for it to be uncapped on the ADSL Broadband forum, though.