Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Phone and intermittant broadband

johnrobinson
Grafter

Re: No Phone and intermittant broadband

Sorry -only just seen your message.
I tried every concievable combination
Master- non master. phone on phone off -changed filters etc etc. Its the fastest I have ever had at 3 meg so I,m not too worried. On the quiet line test there is a very faint hum - but very faint indeed. Certainly no crackling of any sort.
No mater what I do the speed is constant. The hum  seems to lessen when I use the master socket. I have one extension to downstairs and when I remove it - no difference.  I tried moving all the wires around etc to no avail, but as I say you can hardley hear the faint hum.The bt men said they didn't reckon the line  would last that long anyway with all the repairs etc. They have had a new line added to the same cable next door by the way at about the same tme as the fault. If it stops as it is I am not too worried.
Thanks
JohnR
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: johnrobinson
No mater what I do the speed is constant.

Sync speed or results from speed test?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
johnrobinson
Grafter

Hi
Thats using the Namesco speed test. it has dropped this past two days a little, to about 2.7 mg
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

John,
Can you please run a BT Broadband speed test and get the current speed value from the PN portal.
Links to where / how to do this can be found under the "speed issues" post at the top of this forum.
There is the possibility that your profiles have not yet been updated.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

johnrobinson
Grafter

Sorry mate
I cant get into the BT test and I am a 80 year old idiot. I;ll ring somebody up and ask them to check  Its easier. You people think we are all as computer literate as you are !!
No offence
Cheers
JohnR
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

John,
No you are not an idiot, getting this far proves that.  PN cannot run these tests for you.  When I get back on my computer (rather than this iPad) I'll add direct links to these tests on a response.  I will give greater consideration to your abilities on further responses.
@DCT are you able to access / check the BT profile and compare it to PN's?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi John,
Your sync rate is showing as 3.1Mbps so your connection profile has been set to 2.7Mbps on our end. Your line quality is now reflecting as Green, whereas before it was Amber, and your line hasn't suffered any retrains since the line quality changed. If you have any problems with this please don't hesitate to raise a fault here: http://faults.plus.net
johnrobinson
Grafter

It doesn't really matter and as i said I don;t understand half of what is said. The speed is down to a steady 2.5 now and it was working fine at 3.0meg.
It doesn't make that much difference really but I get a rebate of £6 for a week without phone and internet and yet the monthly bill is 40 odd quid. ! So im my school maths 4 into 40 goes ten.
i dont use  the internet that much and I reckon its a good job. Not really your faults - every one been very helpful but I am tired and have had enough of stuff I don't really understand.
JohnR
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

John,
What package are you on?  £40 a month seems rather high.  I'm guessing that includes the cost of phone calls?  Any goodwill gesture (rebate) will I expect be only in respect of subscription charges.
You might find yourself better off taking the anytime call plan.  A one minute call to an 01, 02 or 03 costs around 23 pence.  You do not need to make many of them to cover the cost of the anytime package.
Kevin