cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dial Tone

harrylime

No Dial Tone

I am new to Plusnet and it has not been plain sailing so far, after many problem free years with TalkTalk. I kept getting thrown off the internet, which now is rare, thankfully. However, I now have no outgoing dialling tone, although I can call my landline from my mobile. I have a master plus two extensions and use filters on all.Any suggestions appreciated, I can't face half a day trying to get through to Plusnet customer services. I'm seriously thinking about scrapping my contract and returning to TalkTalk

3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: No Dial Tone

If you have one (or can even borrow one) plug a wired (not DECT) telephone directly into the test socket (located behind the faceplate) on your MASTER socket (assuming you have a standard and relatively up to date NTE5 type master - this should disconnect any internal extension wiring leaving just the wired phone connected to the incoming line (+ the circuits of the master socket), if you still get no dial tone you can be fairly sure it's an external fault and go to the troubleshooter/fault reporting here: https://portal.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/

Also see: https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ 

[Edit] troubleshooter address.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
harrylime

Thanks for that, I will try it. Just a quick updat. Having moved the master phone to a different socket, I am still getting the strange alternating tone but if I wait for a few seconds I then get a dialling tone. Strange

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello. An interrupted dial tone usually means that there's voicemail on the line (if you have our voicemail service I would suggest dialling 1571 to see if there are any new messages).
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button