Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dial Tone on Phone Line

bilkh28
Hooked

No Dial Tone on Phone Line

Hi,

My landline phone no longer has a dial tone. There is only one socket in the house which does not use a microfilter and it is a wired landline phone that has been working perfectly fine until today. Since yesterday, my internet has also been disconnecting intermittently. I would like to know if these two issues are connected and if there is anything PlusNet can do to help resolve the issue.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: No Dial Tone on Phone Line

@bilkh28 They most definitely will be connected. You say the socket does not use a filter - is it a modern 5C socket with a mark 4 faceplate?

John
bilkh28
Hooked

Hi,

My socket says MK2 on it. I have attached an image of it for reference.

ThanksPhone Socket - Copy.jpg

jab1
Legend

Ah OK - it is still a filtered socket, just slightly older.

Have you run through the phone troubleshooter, and are you on a FTTC or ADSL broadband contract?

John
bilkh28
Hooked

I have run through the phone troubleshooter and it did not help. I am currently on the Fibre Unlimited package so I beleive that is FTTC.

jab1
Legend

What response did you get from the phone troubleshooter? And yes you are on FTTC.

Is it possible to post the results from the Helpdesk tab on your router (assuming a PN Hub1) this is on the Troubleshooting tab on the router home page. Delete or obscure any personal details, though.

John
bilkh28
Hooked

I accessed the troubleshooter using the following link:

https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter

When I go here, it says:

"We've already got a fault logged with our support team. Don't worry, we'll be in touch soon with further details."

In terms of the router, I am using a third-party router from TP-Link that has been working perfectly fine for the past year since I purchased it.

jab1
Legend

OK, so the phone fault, which is 99.9% likely to be your issue is logged and will get sorted.

Don't bother about the router statistics in that case, they will not help.

John
bilkh28
Hooked

Hi,

Tnanks for the help so far. How long does a phone/fibre line fault usually take to resolve in your experience?

Thanks

jab1
Legend

@bilkh28 No problem. As to your question - how long is a piece of string? It depends on the problem, BTOR engineer availability and numerous other factors.

John
bilkh28
Hooked

Hi,

I have received the following reply from a ticket from a CSC Analyst who said the following:

"Thank you for your patience while we look into your fault. I have ran some tests on your broadband and phone lines and it looks like everything is up and running as it should. If the problem is still occurring on your end please get in touch with us and let us know so we can look into this further. If the problem is resolved you don’t have to do anything and this ticket will close automatically after 14 days."

I replied saying my dial tone is still dead but not sure what else I can do now.

jab1
Legend

As I am not PN staff (obviously) I can't make any useful comment, other than to say that seems a typical useless reply which I have seen mentioned on other topics, even when the issue is clearly not resolved - almost 'We'll wash our hands of this - makes clear-up rates look good'.

Hopefully one the Help Team might spot this and apply a bit of common sense, but I can't guarantee that, and I'm afraid your 'No, it isn't resolved' reply will persuade someone to check things properly.

John
bilkh28
Hooked

Hi,

Yeah, hopefully someone on the Help Team can help out then. I'm currently working from home and can only use so much mobile data.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @bilkh28 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry for the issues with your service. I can see we've booked an engineer visit for you to investigate further.

Let us know if there are any further issues afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet