Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No BT Line

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No BT Line

Looking at the possibility of switching from Virgin Cable in a flat to PlusNet phone and broadband and I don't see an easy way of doing it as there isn't a BT line at present.
Is there any way of getting a BT line installed without getting stuck with a 12 month contract
Despite this  site  saying no contract the T&C's state
Please note, a minimum term of 12 months applies to line rental for new customers signing up to this calling plan. Exclusions and conditions apply.
10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: No BT Line

Given the debates in other threads about the competitiveness (or otherwise) of PN's phone offerings is that really a problem?
My own view is that the phone market is so competitive that it's difficult to save much money. The only exceptions are where you can LLU the lot and get "free" broadband such as with Tiscali or TalkTalk (in some areas) but there are "issues" with that anyway.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have just found a statement in the Home Move FAQ which refers to a charge of £105 for installation but I haven't found it anywhere else and the standard signup want a telephone number.
The problem with the 12 month contract is that the tenant (who will be installing the line) may want to move after 6 months
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Mand is the person to talk to about this.  It's totally possible, but I think it is a manual process.  I think the usual advice is to open a free Dial Up Pay as you go account then raise a ticket or PM Mand.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

Yep, we can do this. Currently the cost to move from a none-BT line is £40.96.
Oldjim, I've PM'ed you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

PM replied - this isn't a transfer from a non BT line it is a new line as there isn't one at present
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The BT online sign-up process for a new BT line suggests that you can get a line by paying the basic rental of £10.50/month and nothing more, with a minimum contract of 1 month.  Only later on in the process does it start talking about £124ish one-off payment, and 12 month minimum contract lengths.  Angry
Anyway, as I don't know if the BT line at my new rented flat is active, I'm about to PM Mand to see if she can re-activate me for free or if she'd have to charge me a large one-off sum to get a BT engineer to reconnect me.
Martin
James
Grafter

It's £105 if there isn't a telephone line present, but £38.85 if it's a case of reactivating a stopped line.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Jim
have you seen this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,64777.msg518878/topicseen.html#new  Its just what you want
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you are prepared to wait 2 years -  Grin
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: snozboz
I'm about to PM Mand to see if she can re-activate me for free or if she'd have to charge me a large one-off sum to get a BT engineer to reconnect me.

Thank You Mand!  Smiley
I've now got broadband (Option 1) and home phone (evenings & weekends) with PlusNet at my new flat; it was only £38.85 to reactivate a stopped line, and Mand kindly arranged to have this done for me manually (PlusNet don't normally do new phone lines).  So this is me thanking Mand publicly for going above and beyond the call of duty.
Smiley
Martin