cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plusnet line, new copper cable?

RichardPoll
Grafter

New plusnet line, new copper cable?

We're having plus.net phone line installed on the 2nd and I was wondering if the engineers will install a new cable into the house?
16 REPLIES 16
picbits
Rising Star

Re: New plusnet line, new copper cable?

The BT engineer will use your existing line if you are moving the services. Who was your phone service with before ?
If there hasn't been a BT phone line at the property before and there is no existing cabling then I suspect they would have to run a new line.
RichardPoll
Grafter

We're not moving services. I was with virgin cable at my old place. When I ordered plusnet it said we'd need a new line installing and I've noticed the cabling in the new house is a mess. Don't want any un needed joins between the pole and master socket as will be prone to interference and possibly cause problems with adsl. It will need a master socket installing and cable bringing into the living room. At the moment it's joined in the hallway using an old BT terminal block then another join with poor quality cable to an old  socket which is in an un desired location

picbits
Rising Star

With a bit of luck you'll get a friendly engineer who will go the little bit extra to sort it all out in one go.
If there is already wiring to the house they will probably use that rather than run a new line but with BTOR who knows !  Cheesy
Let us know how it goes anyway - are you moving to ADSL or FTTC ?
RichardPoll
Grafter

hopefully Smiley
we can only get ADSL here. pretty gutted really as I was on 60Mbps Firbe Sad
picbits
Rising Star

The first thing I checked out when I moved into this property was that I could get ADSL (pre FTTC days).
I was promised 4Mb - after moving in, BT said no way and if I was lucky they could get me up and running with a 256K line.
Fortunately after a false start with BT then TIscali screwing everything up, Eclipse said "what the heck" and gave it a go and I got 6Mb - I was in heaven lol. It gradually dropped to around 4.5Mb until FTTC came along and I got 73Mb which has since dropped to a steady stable 55Mb.
Hopefully it will come your way sometime soon Smiley
RichardPoll
Grafter

I was on 256k at one of my houses and it was painful lol then i moved into leicester city and was able to get virgin media, a steady 60 Mb for 3 years Smiley
I've moved back into norfolk countryside and we are promised a maximum of 7Mb which will probably end up being around 4-5Mb. Line condition is a key faictor in getting the best speed from the line along with distance from the exchance, thats why i want to make sure all the cabling is decent otherwise ill be calling them out every 5 minutes for a crappy intermittant broadband lol it would also help plus net with diagnosis if they have on record that the line to the house is all good Smiley
I think fibre is way off coming to this area but i can always dream i guess lol
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If the current internal wiring isn't connected to any outside line, then you could have a good look at it.
Is there currently a BT cable coming into the house?
If BT Openreach have got to put a new cable into the house, then what, if anything would stop them putting the Master socket exactly where you want it in the living room?
What colour are the wires on the existing internal wiring? If they are Blue+white trace & White+blue trace, similar with an Orange pair and if there's a 3rd pair they would be green, then at least it would be the correct standard CW1308 twisted pair.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I requested (and paid for) a new line when I joined PN as I wanted the master socket relocated (the original is in a 1st floor bedroom and now inaccessible).  BT cut the incoming cable where it went to the old socket and joined a new cable run to where I wanted the socket (under the stairs).  No problem at all...
RichardPoll
Grafter

It shows phone line installation fee on my invoice but I'm getting that free anyway so I am guessing they will do a new install and put socket where I request?
There's white and an orange (a long with a couple of other single colour pairs) coming in from outside to  the nasty junction box and orange and a blue going to the other sockets. Don't look like today's standard twisted pair tbh as there's no stripe or it's very cheap Chinese cable although the white and the orange from post seems logical.  I've done a few internal phone line installs and also install Ethernet networks fairly often (just to confirm i understand what u mean :). )

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The White and Orange are the standard colours in the BT drop-wire for the first line. There'll be an unused Black and Green pair and probably 3 yellow strainer wires.
The solid coloured orange & blue wires probably have a green and brown in the 4 core old standard phone cable and is not twisted pair. If I were you I'd rip that lot out before the engineer comes.then there will be no temptation to use it. Leave the "nasty" junction box with the incoming cable - which he should re-route to a new Master at your chosen location.
If you want to put in your own extensions after you need CW1308 (2-pair) twisted pair cable. Only the Blue/white trace on 2 and White/blue trace on 5 need be connected. You don't want to connect the bell wire (orange/white trace - 3) if you have individual filters at each socket. If you have central filtering with a filtered faceplate, then you'd connect the bell wire for the phone extension sockets.
RichardPoll
Grafter

Very helpful advice, thanks again Smiley
Two of my pet hates are joins in wiring or wiring that hasn't been terminated properly hence the nasty junction box reference Grin
I'll rip the old internal wiring out hopefully I'll be able to pull new through. It's routed inside the staircase which I can see could be a problem but we'll see,
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RichardPoll,
I've had a look at your order and spoken to Openreach and they've confirmed that the installation is going ahead for 02/09/2014 between 8AM and 1PM. The engineer can turn up anytime within this time slot. We'll continue to monitor this on Ticket: 90612711
RichardPoll
Grafter

Thanks Linn K
Have you mentioned my concerns to open reach?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The engineer who attends to install the line will be responsible for the work that is required for the installation. If the engineer cannot complete the work due to unforeseen circumstances like faults on the line or hoists/cherry picker being required etc. then it will get assigned to a multi-skilled engineer to attend and resolve any issues.
If you'd like me to pass on any kind of specific information to add for the engineer then I'm happy to do so but there's a character limit of around 200 characters  Sad