Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone working early?

saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New phone working early?

This is sort of the reverse of a problem, but it has me puzzled.
I ordered home phone and broadband in December, for a flat that had been empty for some time. As far as I know the place didn't have phone service; I never actually checked for dial tone but I have never had a bill and there didn't appear to be any record of recent service at the address. My engineers' appointment is for tomorrow, but today I plugged in my phone to charge up ready for service, idly keyed in my mobile number -- and the mobile rang!  (I was able to return the call, so it wasn't just a coincidence.) However, my account details on the PlusNet site do not indicate that I have service yet -- I can't get into the phone dashboard -- and I have not heard anything since my appointment was set up, unless a mysterious "No number" call to my mobile on Sunday morning was it. Just to add to the mystery, when I checked the number in Google it came up as belonging to a (BT) exchange on the other side of the city. Also, I sent an SMS to the number and it came through the BT SMS-to-voice service.
So, is this just a case of records being out of sync? Is is possible that my service could have been connected early? Do I dare use it, or should I wait for the promised email?
5 REPLIES 5
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: New phone working early?

Welcome to the Forum
as per my reply to another thread
Dail 150
If she says sorry cannot connect you on this service, you are with PN
saguaro
Rising Star

Thanks! I tried that, and she did.  Smiley
Can you give me any idea how long it will take before "My account" catches up? And is there any point in staying in tomorrow afternoon for the appointment, if the work has been done already? Or does something else need to be done for the broadband?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

answer to all - dont know  - sorry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi saguaro,
I have checked on BT ordering systems and the order doesn't seem to be complete yet, in which case I would definitely wait in for the engineer. Once your line is with us your broadband will go active 7 days later.
Jojo Smiley
saguaro
Rising Star

Thank you! I'll wait in and see what happens tomorrow.