cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone number £35 are you having a laugh?

jdavis54

New phone number £35 are you having a laugh?

Like many forum members lm having problems with cold calling even the samaratins have called me, lve asked PN to give me a new number, some of the callers are asking for a previous tennant who hasnt lived here for years so l would assume that just being exdirectory wont solve the problem as many cold callers will have my number, when l asked for a new number l was told there would be a £35 charge  when BT gave me a new number at my old address there wasnt a charge why do plusnet charge and why so much.
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New phone number £35 are you having a laugh?

I suspect the more interesting question (unfortunately) is why do /did BT retail do it for free as I suspect there is an underlying admin charge built into the system for all providers?
And is there a monopoly pricing issue as a result?
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

The work of providing a new number is not included in a standard domestic phone package. Your phone is working properly, but you want a change to the service.
Why should  all the other phone subscribers pay for your changed requirements? Pay the £35. It isn't excessive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
James
Grafter

This is actually the figure that we are charged by our Wholesaler (Openreach).
I suspect that if you are being offered this for free, you will probably be expected to recontract for a year.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jdavis54
Another option would be to use 'choose to refuse'. It's not available as a call feature but I can add it manually. It allows you to use a PIN to block numbers at exchange level.
It costs £7.50 per quarter, which is much cheaper than a renumber, and most people find they don't need it for more than 6 months.
Jojo Smiley
jdavis54

Quote ...Why should  all the other phone subscribers pay for your changed requirements? Pay the £35. It isn't excessive.
                  £35 may not be excessive to some but it is to me, lm disabled and living on benefit as for my change of requirements all l require is a bit of peace it would be nice not to have the phone ring 3 or 4 times a day and  at all hours.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you registered with TPS? It's free and should help reduce calls from UK organisations.
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

To back up what jelv is saying about TPS here, it is a good thing, it does work and its free so give that a go. It's not guaranteed but from personal experience its drastically reduced the number of cold calls I've received since applying for it last year.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team