cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone line, somebody elses old number??

Chelle771

New phone line, somebody elses old number??

We moved into a new build property last year and as Sky were unable to provide broadband in our area, we changed to Plusnet for both our land line and broadband.  We continuously get calls for a 'Mrs Thomas' from various numbers so wondered if our 'new' phone number had previously belonged to someone else (obviously Mrs Thomas, whoever she is!!).  It's all very well politely telling people they have the wrong number or there's no Mrs Thomas but when it's on a daily basis... Angry
6 REPLIES 6
picbits
Rising Star

Re: New phone line, somebody elses old number??

Phone numbers are now usually recycled as there just aren't enough to go around. Usually they leave a certain period of time before reassigning the number.
You may want to register with the TPS to make sure you don't end up getting loads of marketing calls. This may also stop the calls to the previous owner after a while.
Chelle771

Thanks, I thought as much.  I think the number was already registered with TPS too.  It's just that the caller that rang earlier when finding out I wasn't Mrs Thomas still proceeded with the 'are you the home owner' ..at least we have caller display so may just ignore numbers that show as 'unavailable' etc.
picbits
Rising Star

I often used to get people calling me asking for fictitious names then asking for the homeowner when I informed them they had the wrong number.
I'm sure they used to try using it as a way to start a conversation. I've had the same number for many many years
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

We occasionally get calls for a local takeaway that I believe is not in business now, it's part of the nature of a finite network of available numbers... Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You've got a couple of options open to you.
This link gives a bit more detail if it's of interest.
I think the main things though are :-
Choose to Refuse - (free for the first quarter then chargeable)
Line renumbering (£35.85)
or, ignore the phone. Personally, I'd choose this option.
Hopefully in time, the calls will get less and less though. It's always worth Googling your number though just to make sure it isn't advertised anywhere.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Nellly5
Dabbler

we chose the last option 4 years down the line we are still getting call for the last owner. Sad
they are a lot less now though we was getting them weekly when we first moved in, didn't help the last owner ran a business over a residential line.