Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone line & number = immediate nuisance calls

FIXED
Rickys
Hooked

New phone line & number = immediate nuisance calls

Hello there I recently signed up as a new customer & had a new landline number with my order

Following a message notifying me that my new phone line was active I plugged it in and have not shared the number with anyone.

A very short while later I received a phone call asking for a person with another surname, followed shortly by another call from an Indian gent in a call centre. I only answered as to me it could only be a call from Plusnet with it being a new line & number.

I can only assume it's a fairly recently recycled number & just wondered if this is the case or if my new number is made public for marketing purposes etc by Plusnet by me not unticking a box that i missed.

Excuse any terrible wording & Kind regards.
19 REPLIES 19
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: New phone line & number = immediate nuisance calls

Fix

Hi @Rickys 

All numbers are ex-direc unless you have requested otherwise, therefore, it's likely this number is stored by other companies from a previous holder. 

I would suggest looking at our free Plusnet Call Protect service which allows you to add unwanted numbers to a blacklist. 

You can find this in the "add ons" section of your member centre. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Rickys
Hooked

Hi there, appreciate the reply. I did just answer another call and was informed the number is registered to a business elsewhere. Ex business I hope.

I shall use your advice and check the add-on.

Thanks again just needed to know it was nothing to be concerned about line wise.

Kind regards

Ricky
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Ricky, thanks for getting back to us.

Yeah the majority of landline phone numbers are recycled, so it's likely the previous owner had the number registered with various companies etc. There's a few more options Here on how to try to prevent nuisance calls.

Feel free to let us know if you need any further help or advice.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Try doing a Google search on the number. If you get a lot of business hits ... try asking if PN might do a good will renumber to something not previously used for business purposes.

Such will not ensure there are no issues, but certainly should reduce the call volumes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Gandalf 

Please explain the difference between anonymous call reject (costing £4 per month) and the Plusnet Call Protect (Free)

personal option 4, option 3 Divert call by type, option 4 Unrecognised Numbers (known as unavailable on 1471).

For your information the other options, International Numbers and Witheld Numbers are diverted but the Unrecognised numbers is not working.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @mort7890 

Anonymous Call Reject means that anyone who tries to call you with a withheld number are instantly rejected. Call Protect means that any numbers known to be associated with nuisance calls are rejected.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mort7890
Pro

Hi @Gandalf 

So Plusnet Call Protect, in the options I mentioned, will block Withheld Numbers, will block International Numbers but will not block Unrecognised Numbers (known as unavailable on 1471) although it states it will.

I was also under the impression that the nuisance call rejection list is updated on a regular basis.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mort7890 

The below if lifted directly from https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/plusnet-call-protect/ :

• It automatically blocks calls from Plusnet’s list of known nuisance callers, which is updated regularly to send as many of those pesky nuisance calls as possible to junk voicemail
  • You can create your own personal list of up to 100 nuisance numbers that you can select and maintain
  • You can also choose to divert specific types of numbers to junk voicemail, such as international numbers, withheld numbers and unavailable numbers
  • The Do not Disturb setting means that all calls will either be sent to your normal 1571 voicemail or your 1572 junk voicemail if they feature on your diverted list. For those times when you really want some peace and quiet!
  • The VIP list allows you to select up to 50 numbers to override your diverted list. For example, if you’ve blocked international numbers but have family abroad, you can add them to your VIP list, so they’ll still get through to you.

Thanks, 

MoR

mort7890
Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality 

Thanks for the information and having divulged it you confirm that

You can also choose to divert specific types of numbers to junk voicemail, such as international numbers, withheld numbers and unavailable numbers

However

Plusnet Call Protect, in the options I mentioned, will divert Withheld Numbers, will divert International Numbers but will not divert Unrecognised Numbers (known as unavailable on 1471) although it states it will.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mort7890,

Thanks for getting back to us, I appreciate your query.

I'm not aware of any issues with Plusnet Call Protect and its filtering of calls as it should work as designed, in line with call filtering options with other BT providers. I would also advise to register your number with the Telephone Preference Service as well. If you have a specific number that is persistently getting through this should be blocked manually in case it is not getting picked up by the automatic filtering.

Thanks - LF

mort7890
Pro

Hi @LordFoul 

I have been with TPS for more years than I can remember.

Strangely enough I have been reporting this query for more months than I can remember.

It should work as designed but it is not. Option 4, Personal options, option 3, Divert calls by type, option 4, Unrecognised Numbers (known as unavailable on 1471) 

I get on my caller display UNAVAILABLE and 1471 states we do not know the callers number, so to me the above part of the option is not functioning as it should.

If it had a number I would input it through either using 1572 block the last answered call or Option 4, Personal options, option 2, make own list, option 2 add number

These pesky persistent scam callers must have found a way of bypassing the programme, I know that VoiP callers are another area that may be even more difficult to stop as well but I am sure that will be rectified sometime.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mort7890,

It sounds like it as I was wondering if it was a VoiP call. I'm sure this is something that will get resolved in time.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks - LF

mort7890
Pro

Hi @LordFoul 

Of the last 5 unavailable calls 2 were from overseas which did not show as international and certainly was not VoiP as I new the person calling us.

I also think that the other 3 calls were not VoiP as these were recorded messages and we did receive a fourth whuch although did show Unavailable did also show a number which we put on to 1572.

I still think therefore that the option I am talking about does not function the way it is supposed to.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@LordFoul wrote:

Hi @mort7890,

It sounds like it as I was wondering if it was a VoiP call. I'm sure this is something that will get resolved in time.

It does not matter how the call is originated or routed (VoiP or whatever) - it still routes in to BT's PSTN network and as the terminating CP they are responsible for how the delivery of the call is handled.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.