cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New on B/Band and talk anytime home phone package.

andyoldy

New on B/Band and talk anytime home phone package.

Broadband is up and running and am leaving the switch to PN and BT. Is it right to be getting a 29 quid termination charge because of stopping BTs services? as i understood it that PN was another branch of BT or bought by them....Oh and we wanted to terminate another phone line which we do not use anymore in the house and BT said it would take two weeks, probably so that they can get one last bill in methinks  Wink
Cheers
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: New on B/Band and talk anytime home phone package.

Is it right to be getting a 29 quid termination charge because of stopping BTs services?

The broadband isn't usually terminated its migrated to another supplier in this case I assume from BT to PlusNet ?
BT should have given you a MAC ( Migration Authorisation Code ) which you then supply to PlusNet and your Broadband is transferred seamlessly ( well almost !! ). In this case you don't pay any termination or connection charge. Not sure about the phone , are you transferring that to PlusNet as well ? I think you just contact the new supplier and they arrange the transfer, again should be seamless.
Are you sure the £29 is a termination charge and not a charge for any remaining contract period ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andyoldy

Sorry i wasnt very clear, Plusnet Broadband is fine its the phone switch where the charge is occuring. Plusnet are doing the switch from a bt phone line to plus net. In my recent BT bill it says "£29 pound termination charge for stopping BT services" which to me says that i've incurred a charge for swapping phone provider.  May phone them once Plusnet is up and running.
Seems a bit harsh.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Aah, like I said I'm not sure on phone transfer since I've never had cause to do it. However I've just looked at BT's T & C's and ffrom what I can see there's no termination charge mentioned other than 'Early term' cancellation changres if you're still in a contract.
Ending the service
  19. Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time by giving us 14 days' written notice, either by email to any email address we may have given you or by letter to the address on your last BT bill or any other address we have given you, for that purpose. We can stop providing the service by giving you 28 days' written notice.
  20. If you choose to end the service within any relevant minimum period or if you cancel your direct debit instructions; we may end your agreement for the service. If we do this within the minimum period of your agreement you will have to pay the termination charges set out for each of the services in the relevant service terms by way of compensation to us for ending your service early. You can find details of these charges in the Tariff Guide and on www.bt.com/termcharges.
  21. If you or we end the agreement for the service, we will pay back to you any money we owe you relating to that agreement. We will first take off any money you owe us under that agreement or any other agreement between us. Where we provide you with a range of communications services and you owe us money for one service we reserve the right to charge you for that service via the bills we send you for your other services.

See the full T & C here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF... and the charges here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

@andyoldy,
That sounds like it's an early exit charge for your contract term, I'm not aware of any phone-specific cancellation costs.
I'd check that out though, the wording is certainly a little ambiguous (there will be no termination of the line as such, it's just a transfer).
andyoldy

Quote from: Mand
@andyoldy,
That sounds like it's an early exit charge for your contract term, I'm not aware of any phone-specific cancellation costs.
I'd check that out though, the wording is certainly a little ambiguous (there will be no termination of the line as such, it's just a transfer).

Thanks for the help above but i think you are right more than likely an early exit charge. Ah well...