cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line

Galtuk

New line

I am moving into a new property which had a working line until a few days ago. The current owner cancelled their service with their provider i am now looking to take out home phone and broadband and plusnet are saying that an engineer needs to visit my property and install a line but the equipment is already there and was working a few days ago (i called the previous owner on it) so why do i need and engineer to come and install equipment that is already there. Surely they just need to activate the existing line and issue a new number if they want for which I would think there would be no charge.
6 REPLIES 6
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: New line

This means that the previous provider or Openreach have not left the line in a stopped state but rather disconnected this at a point beyond your property.

This means an engineer call-out is required of which we do ask for part payment towards this as part of the install, the engineer will not always need access to your home but someone will need to go out and do work somewhere on the line.

There is a chance the stopped line could pop back up as this can happen with Openreach records but you'd be best speaking to us to check that as it can change day to day.

Galtuk

But you are the only provider stating that I need an engineering visit as it stands both ee and sky have said that they can activate the line that already exists with no need for an engineer visit
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could you PM me the address of the property and I'll run some checks from here and get back to you, if they can see the line we should be able to also

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for that message, I can see what's happening here.

We can indeed see the line however it's a line that's been stopped whilst connected to an LLU providers equipment meaning an Openreach engineer will need to disconnect the line from this and connect the line to the BT based equipment we connect through, as this does incur an engineering charge to ourselves when we place the order with Openreach we do pass a portion of this charge on at signup.

I would suggest giving our sales team a call however as they may be able to waive this fee dependant on contract length etc, I cannot confirm this for sure however there's no harm in a quick check in my opinion.

If you'd like to know more about this or have any other questions please do let me know

Galtuk

Ok will give them a call thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

How did you get on with this?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet