cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line activation - telephone number has changed?

john757
Dabbler

New line activation - telephone number has changed?

We've moved in to a new house and received a telephone number from plusnet around the 18th August, it's been working fine since it was provisioned, until today. Now when we call the house number it just rings until it gets to voice mail. When we called a mobile from the house phone, the house phone now shows a completely different number to the telephone number we were given!? We dialled this new number and it does dial our house number. How can we get the original number put back in place as we have now updated all our contacts...
John.
51 REPLIES 51
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New line activation - telephone number has changed?

A (former) neighbour of mine moved house and was persuaded to switch her phone to Plusnet at the same time (she already had Plusnet broadband).  What actually happened was that BT (her former telephone provider) kept the contract for 5 days after the move and then Plusnet took over and switched the number.  As best as I can tell this happened because Plusnet did not realise she already had a working phone line at the new house and put in an order for an installation which the visiting engineer interpreted as a request to switch the number.
So I think this can happen when an Openreach engineer is given instructions that don't make sense in the light of circumstances 'on the ground' and makes the wrong decision. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Your best bet is to ring CSC and get them to look into it. I guess if you dial 17070 it will tell you the circuit is connected to this new number?
john757
Dabbler

Thanks. Not had chance to call CSC unfortunatley due to working. I have managed to log a ticket online however (#90577055) so hopefully this should get the ball rolling. My Broadband is due to be activated on the 27th August, so hopefully this doesn't effect it.
John.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It will certainly affect it if CSC don't know your correct telephone number.  I fear you need to get in touch with CSC more urgently than an online ticket if likely to achieve. 
Anotherone
Champion

But refer to that ticket number when you ring up. Also check the details showing in your account at the portal.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi john757,
Sorry to hear you're having problems with the phone line. I've checked this for you and booked an engineer to attend on 28/08/2014 between 8AM and 1PM.
I can confirm that the number we provided and confirmed on your account is your correct number. The incorrect number is what the engineer will be attending to remove from your line and get your number back on your line as this is the number that we're going to provide broadband on as well. The ticket is now with our Phone Faults team and they'll monitor this until resolved.
Let us know how it goes on Thursday!
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

This sounds a bit odd Linn.   Number changing is normally a Software change at the Exchange not at the User end.  At most an update AND a pair change at the MDF.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your input Maurice. When I carried out automated testing on the line there was no fault found which means that we have to book an engineer to attend the property but they'll visit the exchange as well.
EDIT: I've had a look at the fault and it's now changed the location of the fault to the exchange so this should now be resolved without the need of an engineer's visit to the property.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I don't think so Linn.  This is an exchange or provisioning problem.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: MauriceC
Number changing is normally a Software change at the Exchange not at the User end.  At most an update AND a pair change at the MDF.

...but not if the engineer connected the d-side pair to someone else's e-side pair...  Cheesy

Anotherone
Champion

Beat me to the same comment. There's another post somewhere on this forum when an engineer did just that but with a street full of neighbours lines Shocked
john757
Dabbler

Thanks for the help & guidance guys and thanks for the quick response from Plusnet. My broadband went active today (a day earlier than expected), I had a message come through around 12:00. Needless to say, BB doesn't work at the moment, which I expect is due to the number mismatch. The line sync's at 15265kbps, but there is very little throughput and no actual connection to the web when trying to browse. I've unplugged the router for now to prevent any further problems and I will try again once we have been provisioned the correct telephone number.
I'm assuming it uses our telephone number as a unique ID to auth in some way?
Thanks again.
John.
Anotherone
Champion

You could have left the modem/router connected, it won't do any harm at all. It doesn't use the phone number to authenticate, it uses the broadband username. When a service is activated by BT, they need to notify Plusnet who then activate the account, which is what I expect you may be waiting for. But also, unless you enter your own username and password into the modem/router you have to wait for the TR-069 system to do that for you, this can take 15 minutes from when the account is activated. I'd just reconnect it all and leave it and check later. It may activate just after midnight, if not before.
john757
Dabbler

Ok thats great, thanks. I'm using a Billion 7800N so have set the username/password manually and all other settings were auto configured by the router itself (checked and correct).
John.