cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New landline from Plusnet - number allocated from the BT-owned range?

Jorvik
Grafter

New landline from Plusnet - number allocated from the BT-owned range?

If one orders a new landline and broadband service from Plusnet, e.g. having moved house, would I be right in thinking the new landline number issued by Plusnet comes from the pool of BT-owned range of local numbers?

I ask because I know someone who's moving who'd quite like to get a 'proper local' landline number - and new numbers from providers such as Sky, Talktalk and I think Vodafone come from their own, distinct number ranges - still within the area code, but noticeably different from the 'traditional' phone numbers of many others in any locality (at least noticeable to those who notice such things!)

(For those interested, the owners/holders of number ranges can be found via the spreadsheets on this Ofcom page.)

5 REPLIES 5
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: New landline from Plusnet - number allocated from the BT-owned range?

Good morningJorvik

Thanks a lot for reaching out. It depends. If the person is currently with us already, and have a number which is NOT owned by BT, our system will try to bring the number across to their new property if possible - same exchange area. If they don't want this, they'll have to get in touch with our Provisioning Team to manually place the orders, and generate a new number.

Other than that, yes, all generated numbers provided by Plusnet are BT owned.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Jorvik
Grafter

Hi adam945,

Thanks for the reply. They're not with you already, and they're not bringing a number with them (they're moving from a different exchange area) - it'd be a brand new connection / contract. They're just after a 'proper local' number - one that doesn't stick out as being different (to those who notice such things!) - and it looks like they can have one from Plusnet, which is great.

I appreciate this may well seem like quite a quaint idea, perhaps even more so in years to come!

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fair enough @Jorvik

To be honest, I'm not sure if I've heard the term "proper local number" before haha, but yeah, the number allocated will be a BT owned number. Smiley

Adam
mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Nor me but I know exactly what he means.

In my area all 'normal local' numbers begin with 3. But if they were issued by virgin media they start with 7, or other non-standard telcos they start with 6, etc.

Then you have VoIP numbers which are another game entirely. Both of my 'local' sipgate numbers start with '99' ... Which I wouldn't think would even be allowed, as it's just asking for people to accidentally diall 999.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Oh okay @mrmitch85

Thanks for explaining, yeah just to reiterate, all of our numbers will be BT owned Smiley Give us a shout if you have any further questions at all.

Adam