Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New house: want new account, but no current phone number

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New house: want new account, but no current phone number

Hi there.
Does anyone know how one signs up for a new PlusNet account (Broadband and Home Phone) for a new house (rented) and so without an existing landline phone number?
I'm helping a friend who is moving from India to the UK soon, and who wants his house, phone line, and broadband up and running when he arrives.  He's moving into a rented house that I already have the keys for.  As far as I can tell, previous occupants have had Sky, Virgin cable, and BT connections (presumably not all at once!  Smiley ) .
PlusNet's online sign up process asks for the landline phone number, and doesn't allow for an alternative (ie an address).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin
9 REPLIES 9
paulby
Grafter

Re: New house: want new account, but no current phone number

I think PN can arrange to get the line activated etc. but it needs manual intervention IIRC.  One of the comms team should pick up on this in the morning and let you know how to go about things.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
As a rule we don't offer new line activations, which is why there is no allowing for this in the sign up process.
If your friend would like us to provide a line (at a cost of £105) we can do so, but I would recommend signing up over the phone as this means we can collate all the relevant information all at once.
snozboz
Rising Star

I've just spoken to BT who say that the line is a "Stopped Line" which means they can activate it for free, though there is a 12 month minimum contract length.
Does this mean PlusNet could do the same?  Or would they still charge £105?
Assuming PlusNet would still charge the £105, it seems the best thing would be to sign-up with BT for phone, and with PlusNet for broadband.  How long would this all take?  I vaguely remember in the past that one has to wait for BT to finish before PlusNet can do its stuff to provide broadband.
VirginMedia say it's only an analogue cable area, so only do TV and phone not broadband.  Presumably it's not worth asking other ISPs  as they would be in the same situation as PlusNet?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Because we don't know how much it would cost until we would actually place the Home Phone order, we would need to advise that it may cost upto £105.  In reality, it would be likely to cost £38.75.
We have to charge this fee as it's only on a monthly contract and not annual as per BT.
snozboz
Rising Star

Oh, well that makes me reconsider going with PlusNet for the phone line again...
Does this mean I would have to commit to paying £105 before knowing if it will be that or £38.75?  Or could I go through with the order, hoping it will be £38.75, and then cancel the order if it turns out to be £105?
Not applicable

I suspect that once the order is placed, you are comitted to paying the price, whatever it is (up to £105) so you would have to cross your fingers.
I'm not sure its possbile to get an accurate price before you fully commit to paying it (which seems madness I know)
James
Grafter

Bear with me and I'll get Mand to double check this for you before commenting any further.
Just so I don't say anything silly Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If you want to PM me the address I can check and see whether our ordering system shows it as a stopped line, and therefore advise of the cost.
As a rule we ask the customer to authorise the £105 payment, and then charge whatever the cost of the order (either £38.75 or £105).
snozboz
Rising Star

Thanks very much for your quick replies to this.
(Mand kindly checked very quickly for me, but it turned out that PlusNet would have to charge the full £105 - so my friend will go with BT for phone, and PlusNet for broadband.)
Yours,
Martin