cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New home - phone line?

Claremac
Grafter

New home - phone line?

I've been a happy Plusnet broadband customer for many years and have no wish to change. I am moving to a new house soon and plan to continue with Plusnet. My question is with regards to the home phone line. It is a new build (one of only 2) and I have yet to check with the builder whether there will be a phone line installed. Does anyone know if this is normally the case? If it is already installed does that mean that a contract will already be in place with a provider e.g. BT? Or will there just be a line and it's up to me to choose the ongoing provider? I am considering using Plusnet for both broadband and home phone.
If there is not a phone line already installed I will presumably have to pay for one. Can I get a line installed through Plusnet? Wish I knew more about this type of thing and I've stil got to deal with Sky TV, gas, electricity etc etc!!!!
3 REPLIES 3
reserved
Grafter

Re: New home - phone line?

Quote from: Claremac
Can I get a line installed through Plusnet?

Plusnet are charging £79 for a new phone line installation, see here which is cheaper than BT I think.
There was a special offer from PN a while back for £49.99, see Mand's reply
edit: BT's charge is £124.99 or £50 when ordered with a Talk & Surf package, see here
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
The special offer for a new line install is still £49.99, but you have to ring our sales team to arrange it as we don't offer new line installations online yet.
Regarding new builds, developers generally install sockets in the houses, but don't connect these anywhere, so it's still a new install from the exchange side of things.
paulby
Grafter

If it is already installed does that mean that a contract will already be in place with a provider e.g. BT? Or will there just be a line and it's up to me to choose the ongoing provider?

As Mand said, there's normally a socket in the house with wiring back to the street cabinet installed.  It's up to you who you choose to activate the line and use as your ongoing provider but it does still count as a new line from the costing side of things.
I recently moved into a new build and had no problems getting PN to activate the new line as part of the house move process.  Just be wary of the people in the sales office on a new build site. The sales person where I bought my house erroneously told me that I *had* to sign up with BT for twelve months in order to get the line activated and a phone number allocated because "BT had put the line in". This simply isn't the case - Openreach put the line in and the choice of supplier is up to you!!! (BT Openreach install the lines - BT *RETAIL* offer phone services in the same way as any other provider and are a separate company!!)