cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account issue. Not a good introduction to Plusnet.

eggiegwin

New account issue. Not a good introduction to Plusnet.

Hi
I was sent a text this morning saying my phone line was now working. However, I have taken the day off work to wait for an engineer.
I've phoned Plusnet support, but the person I talked to couldn't help as I am not the person named on the account.
What do I do? Should I wait in for an engineer who may or may not show up? Or should I go to work?
This is not a good introduction to Plusnet.
11 REPLIES 11
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New account issue. Not a good introduction to Plusnet.

Hi eggiegwin,
Sorry for the issues you've encountered. I've created ticket 81405121 on your account. Please see this ticket for information regarding this post.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You also need to raise a ticket asking for yourself to be added as a named person authorised to deal with the account.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sometimes engineers may be booked but not required for phone line installations, that's why we say :
Please remember that you will need to be available if the engineer requires access to your property to complete the installation.

I appreciate that this may lead to you taking time off work but in this instance it's not something we would refund or give a gesture of goodwill for.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
eggiegwin

That's appalling customer service, and I will be telling as many people about it as I can. You have wasted my day.
A very poor start to our relationship.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry you feel that way, unfortunately sometimes the engineer can do the work remotely either at the exchange or cabinet however this isn't always guaranteed. That's why we need to say 'if' an engineer is required.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Plusnet are required to make an appointment by OpenReach with someone being available to let the engineer in if required. There are three choices:
[list type=decimal]
  • Plusnet order the line installation without confirming you will be available. If the engineer calls and isn't let in you may be charged £90 - see http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/generalbriefings/generalbriefingsarticles/gen... abortive visit charge

• Plusnet postpone your installation until you can be available, or if you can't give a date tell you they can't supply

• They do as at present, make the appointment with the "if the engineer requires access to your property" proviso

• Which would be your preference?
    eggiegwin

Then again, there is option 4: They are better organised and determine if an engineer needs to visit with more than three hours notice. They are, after all, the same company.
    Very poor service.
    picbits
    Rising Star

The problem is that until the engineer is at the cabinet running his tests, he may not spot that you have issues with the master socket in your house - sometimes there is bad wiring to the premises and sometimes in the premises.
    Sometimes they hook up the phone lines / broadband, their little box says "everything is ok" and off they go - no home visit required.
    Other times they find a high resistance fault or similar which would require a visit to the customer, faceplate off, test equipment on and further investigation. Other times, the customers existing telephone or satellite receiver could cause issues with the engineers tests and require a call to the customer to remove them from the line.
    It is standard procedure and probably would have happened no matter who you signed up with.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

Quote from: eggiegwin
    They are, after all, the same company.

They may have the same owners, but they operate as totally independent companies. If they did otherwise OFCOM would be down on them like a ton of bricks!
    shantijoe
    Dabbler
    Fixes: 1

I also took a morning off work and heard nothing. On contacting PlusNet I was told OpenReach had problems. Further investigation reveals they claim my adjacent pole has reached it's capacity and they need council permission to erect a new one. Not according to my council however. The current pole only runs 7 lines whilst others run 21.
    Ofcom are trying to come down on OpenReach this year demanding a 2 day window to respond.
    PlusNet's response so far is that 'we hope to provide service in another 4 weeks (then a 10 week wait)'. Not good enough for me I'm afraid,
    good luck, joe
    LinnPlusnet
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi shantijoe,
    I've responded to your post regarding the same subject here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124508.0.html