cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Property Nightmare

Pazz
Grafter

New Property Nightmare

I've recently bought a new property and discovered that the phone line is dead.
I have two accounts with Plusnet for two different properties. The problem resides with username: dtparry.
Before reading the extensive PN help pages I knew full well to disconnect any extension wiring and try connecting direct to the test socket at the master socket. Alas there was no dial tone. After a quick head scratch I wandered outside to have a look at the BT line into the house which when identified was found hanging from the side of the property and connected to fresh air alone. Further still, the cable looks to be older than I am. I can only assume the previous occupier preferred the more traditional approach of communication such as a long piece of string with tin cans on either end.
From reading between the lines I believe I'm waiting for BT to investigate the issue at the exchange. Not sure what they'll find there, other than "Computer says no Jeff".
For feedback alone, I appreciate the customer advisors are probably following protocol, but in some instances your advisors need to listen to customers more. I've explained repeatedly that the incoming line is damaged/disconnected. Now I also appreciate that the majority of customers probably don't have a clue but there are a handful of us out there (example being many of the users on this forum) who have a few brain cells.
It's getting to the point where I'm happy to pay £50 for the engineer myself. You've also sent me various updates saying my Fibre will go live on 14/11/2015. Can't see that happening without a phone line though.
2 REPLIES 2
Pazz
Grafter

Re: New Property Nightmare

Just to update.
To my complete surprise, I got a phone call at 8:00am this morning from a BT engineer. He was fantastic. Quickly diagnosed the problem with me over the phone and turned up to the property 20 mins later to run a new line in from the street. Simple job, simple fix. I cannot commend him enough, he even discussed with me at length where best to bring the incoming line.
What is disappointing is that I had no prior warning that an engineer had been booked by PN. Luckily I was able to attend to the property before starting work and allow him access, else I fear I would have had the dreaded no show fee.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New Property Nightmare

Glad to hear it's been fixed.
We didn't book the engineer directly to visit. Our tests were showing a external fault but the engineers will sometimes try to gain access if they think they need it.
If they weren't able to you wouldn't have been charged for a no-show as it wasn't a booked appointment.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team