cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone number-cold calls for someone else

notexpectingmuc

New Phone number-cold calls for someone else

Hello
Finally had a phone line installed by BT Openreach (Still no news on when I will get my broadband router, feeling very disappointed) I would like to contact someone by phone (as promised was always possible when I signed up they said wait would be no longer than 5 mins, 18 mins on hold today and had to hang up  :()
I have had several cold calls asking for a Margaret F******* (not rude just didn't want to post full name). So have I got this ladies telephone number? Am I going to be hassled by people trying to get her. I've been trying to get broadband and phone since Jan 7th (admittedly this is not Plusnets fault) was finally pleased that it appears to be progressing (WHEN??? will they send me my router??)  
WHY have I got someone else s number ?
Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New Phone number-cold calls for someone else

Hi notexpectingmuch,
Welcome to the Forums!
I'm very sorry for your long wait. Your broadband order is due to complete on 08/04/2014 and your router should arrive a couple days prior to the scheduled completion date. You should be receiving it in the next few days.
As for the cold calls I can only apologise if you're receiving calls for another person. It may be that they once had the number you've been assigned as there are no "new" numbers anymore. All numbers are recycled and re-used after a certain amount of time.
I would advise that you register for TPS (Telephone Preference Service) which you can do here:
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
And you can also find a guide on nuisance calls here:
http://www.plus.net/support/phone/nuisance_calls.shtml
Hopefully this will help and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
notexpectingmuc

Thanks for reply, and letting me know when it will complete.
Regards to number can it be changed? Our old number is still not in use (just called it) could we have that?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
If the number is available we can request a number change for you. A re-number costs £36.63 as charged by our suppliers.
You'd be best giving our Support Team a call on 0800 432 0200 to check the number is available and to make the payment, should you want to have the number changed.