cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Line pre-requisites

FIXED
honeycomb

New Line pre-requisites

We are getting close to finishing a complete rebuild of what was a run down cottage. I don't believe there was a line in there before, the address does not appear on the lists offered when checking out the postcode anyway.

My question is whether I can just put in an order with Plusnet and then the engineers will do the rest? - What happens if more extensive work has to be done to get a line into our now new property? 

Fibre is also available at the neighbouring properties too but as our landline does not yet exist, it is not available - is that something that Plusnet can work with or not? I am keen to put an order in but wanted to clarify things before I do in case I need to get in touch with Open Reach directly instead...

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: New Line pre-requisites

Hi there.

Firstly welcome to our community forums and thanks for your interest in Plusnet.

My question is whether I can just put in an order with Plusnet and then the engineers will do the rest?

Essentially, yes. If your address doesn't exist on the ordering system then we'd add it as a new address. The order would then likely go to a survey to assess the work needed to install your service before an engineer goes out.

What happens if more extensive work has to be done to get a line into our now new property? 

We should be able to provide you with a service one way or another, and we'd likely know for sure once the ground has been surveyed/an engineer has been out. There are very certain circumstances when we can't supply a service.

This is usually if your property is served solely by fibre to the premises, with no copper infrastructure to provide you with a phone line, or you live in Hull. Due to agreements made long ago, our suppliers can't provide there.

Fibre is also available at the neighbouring properties too but as our landline does not yet exist, it is not available - is that something that Plusnet can work with or not?

If there are no records of broadband availability when you put your full address in at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com we'd need to wait until your phone line is up and running before ordering broadband on the line.

in the unlikely event(based on that your neighbours have fibre) turn out that fibre isn't available for you, we'd allow you to either cancel your account without penalty or move to an offer for standard broadband instead.

I am keen to put an order in but wanted to clarify things before I do in case I need to get in touch with Open Reach directly instead...

No worries, shouldn't need to contact Openreach directly. They'd actually only speak to you under certain circumstances, for example if you see damage on their network, they'd want you to report it to them. Other than that, they'd want a communication provider like ourselves to contact them on your behalf, where necessary.

Hope this helps.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
honeycomb

Thank you Anoush for the comprehensive response. That makes plenty of sense and I am now happy to put in an order. As I will need broadband one way or another I will put it in for the offered broadband package anyway to start with and then request to move over to fibre if it becomes available, I presume that would be ok - there is no way to order a line only anyway. 

Thanks Again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems and yep that's the best way of doing it in my opinion.

If you let us know over here once you've placed the order we'll be happy to make sure it's progressing as it should be. 

[edit]

Re-reading this. Just a heads up to clarify my previous statement about cancelling without penalty if we can't provide you with fibre.

This would only be an option if the account was set up for fibre in the first instance, which it sounds like you can't do as fibre isn't showing as available at the moment.

If you create your account on a standard broadband offer, the contract would be for that, but you can always upgrade to fibre when/if it becomes available.

Thought I'd just try and make things a bit clearer. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
honeycomb

Ok that's fine, I have put my order in just now, appreciate your help, would providing my username help ensure that it's progressing? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

I'd hope that it'd be progressing fine without manual intervention but feel free to PM me your username if you'd like me to double check.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet